Chapter 33: Mary

He woke up to the sound of a woman screaming for him to wake up, he passed out hard having little memory of what happened last night. His head was aching, pounding as if someone hit him with a hammer. Perhaps he had too much to drink before having to stare at his fireplace, looking at Maria, or what appeared to be a hallucination of the gypsy who broke his spirit. Claude looked up to see the young girl with long, silky black hair and sapphire blue eyes staring at him. She looked worried as she tried to lift him up, Claude thanked her for the support, yet he was curious about such character, he has never seen her before. He was a mess, his robes all wrinkled and stained with the ashes of the fire, his hair all ruffled and out of place, his nose stuffy and his eyes looked burned and hurt. "My lord, what has happened to you? Forgive my intrusion, I entered without permission. I saw you lying here, thought someone hurt you." said the girl as she bowed and looked at her feet. Claude couldn't even think right, he couldn't keep his eyes open for a curple of seconds. 

Claude: Did I hire you? I do not remember seeing your face. What is your name, girl?

???: I am Mary, your grace. You hired me not too long ago in taking care of the palace's chores. I am at your service. 

Claude: I must go. I have duties to do. Prepare my carriage, Mary. Summon my men. I must find the gypsy at once.

Mary: As you wish, sir. Please do be careful, we do not want accidents now, or a war.

Her name sounded like Maria's, was she mocking him? Perhaps the effects of the alcohol were still on him, he must've been drunk as well when he gave a job to the young girl, her beauty got the best of him. He needed to change and sober up before facing the public and confronting the people who might have the enemy hidden. He washed his face to wipe the ashes and sleepiness away, then he changed his robes and hat, "Your carriage is ready, sir. I hope you find what you are looking for." said Mary. Claude walked past her to meet with his soldiers and his carriage, he couldn't look up to embrace the sun and its warmth, he felt like he was burning inside, like a fever. But was it really fever or his sins burning his insides? It didn't matter to him once he entered the carriage to meet  Pheobus in front of the cathedral, "I need your assistance, child. Join me on this day. I shall like to know more about you, maid." said Claude to Mary, this one bowed and joined his side in the carriage. Seems he had trouble gathering his thoughts as he looked out the dark window, watching the people of Notre Dame as he was pulled forward. He felt a chill up his spine, so cold he decided to look at Mary who was looking outside as well, her hands neatly folded on her thighs, her back straight and her face in a calm gesture, she looked very familiar to him. He thought she was touching his shoulder but she was focused on the streets of Notre Dame. He looked in his window to witness some people with familiar faces, he was still under the effect of alcohol perhaps, because he saw his father and mother walking beside him and holding hands as if Claude was seeing them together on the other side. He then saw Maria and Pierre, they were haunting him, he then saw the triplets laughing at him, they were changing into grotesque figures, "You should heed our warnings! Your mother is most disappointed! You are no different than your father!" they said over and over, chanting it, it was making him dizzy and sick. 

"Attention!" the carriage stopped and the door opened as one guard notified the rest. Claude had to cover his eyes from the sun for a while as he grunted for feeling so sick, Pheobus was surprisingly concerned for his health. "Morning, sir. Are you feeling all right?" asked Pheobus, "I had a little trouble with the fireplace." Pheobus patiently waited for his orders as Claude composed himself. Claude had such pleasure in giving him just the simple command, four words he liked at that time "Find the gypsy girl!" said Claude as he got out and mounted his horse, "I will accompany you on your mission, captain. I request another horse for my maid, she is to join us" he added as Mary got out and bowed at Pheobus. "A pure heart. Interesting to see him here," she whispered but loud enough for Pheobus to hear and notice her face, she was smiling and her eyes changed to a grey tone. One of the guards gave her a horse for her to ride and the three of them rode around the houses outside the city of Notre Dame. Both young people are unaware of what they might encounter. Claude felt no different, he wanted the girl, he wanted to break her spirit. To kill or not to kill, was the hard question for him.