Chapter 14: Emptiness

Claude couldn't get out of bed the next days. He stood in his room, reading and studying his books. He felt like he was going to get sick for he felt feverish. It seemed his hate got the best of him until he started thinking about Maria. His sanctuary, his peaceful dove. He needed a drink, he needed to know his mother's origins and what she planned before marrying Jacque. 

That afternoon, he stood on the same pub, drinking until he would pass out or for Jehan to look for him. He didn't care what would happen to him until. "Claude?" a female whisper caught his attention, he looked to his side to look at Maria in the most peasant of clothes. She was covering her face with a hood that made her look like a poor old woman, hunching, whispering and walking slowly. "Why are you dressed like that? Something the matter?" asked Claude when looking into her eyes, even the darkest hood couldn't hide her beauty that was behind, he thought.

"Judge Frollo is what's happen. He has ordered the guards to take every gypsy on their sight to the Palace of Justice, to face judgement, but what he is doing is mistreating innocent people, our people. " Maria kept her eyes down and sat beside Claude, explaining his father's doings, the true crimes of Notre Dame.  Was he torturing gypsies to look for the responsible who hurt his wife or just for his own pleasures?  "Pierre and Clopin are alright. They're hiding in the Court of Miracles. Our sanctuary, I will be joining them soon as well until the judge's temper ceases. Maybe you could help him look for the ones responsible so this nightmare could end." she said as she ordered a drink for herself.

Claude was interested  in this Court of Miracles she love speaking of. Can he fit among them too despite being the judge's son? Could he leave the life that was given to him in order to be with the woman he loved and  have her heart? "I would like to see your Court of Miracles, if you allow me. I want you to feel safe , all of you. I believe my mother wasn't attacked by some gypsies but something else." He said.

"What do you have in mind that hurt that poor woman? She didn't deserve such event. When this is all over. I will take you and your mother with me someday there. I promise." said Maria which filled Claude with a ray of hope, knowing she cared for the good people in his family.  Claude couldn't help but to kiss her lips and her to be surprised by his actions. 

It must've been the shortest, sweetest kiss for the both of them and not to risk anything else while they were exposed to the public. The lovers spent hours drinking and conversating about their life before meeting each other, their goals and what they hope their relationship might go. 

"Everyone, stay in your seats! By the order of Judge Jacque Frollo. Nobody is to leave this filth!" five guards entered the pub in search for gypsies but instead they found drunks, and peasants people drinking their misery. Claude knew nothing good will come out of this moment.