Chapter 28: This all looks too familiar

20 years later

It happen to be that time of the year again when Notre Dame would celebrate the Festival of Fools, an event that fascinated a young Claude once or twice. It is not what it used to be, Claude thought. He was to visit Quasimodo for lunch and study, spending time with someone he trusts before the big event. He did his best to avoid seeing Jehan who was praying with the people of Notre Dame, Claude already knew the way to the bell tower, he was like a ghost in the corners of the church. Once he was nearing Quasimodo's room and he swore he was hearing Quasi speak, to who? Claude couldn't hear someone else, he thought Quasimodo was finally going mad.

He saw the boy heading to the stairs, where Claude was. Quasimodo kept saying things like "I'll stroll down those stairs." and "I'll march through the doors" before bumping into his master, who looked at him with concern. "Good morning, Quasimodo." Claude said, seeing Quasimodo changing moods. Quasimodo seemed like he felt scared and disappointed for his behavior, but also felt sad he won't be able to speak his heart. He noticed the gargoyles beside Quasimodo, ornaments of the church that seemed to be possessed or something because Claude would always see them in different places each time, or perhaps Quasimodo would move them to speak to them. One of the gargoyles made him anxious, the female-looking one. He thought of his mother, of how she would look if she was alive. Claude shook his head, coming back to reality and questioning Quasimodo.

Frollo: Dear boy, whoever are you talking to?

Quasimodo: My...friends.

Frollo: I see. And what are your friends made of, Quasimodo?

Quasimodo: Stone...

Claude was concerned the three siblings were haunting him, perhaps in his dreams or they were possessing the gargoyles. Frollo bent a little to grab Quasi's chin and made him look at him. "Can stone talk?" Claude asked, Quasi made sure he was just a little mad when he confirmed the gargoyles never talked. Claude could see Quasimodo upset with himself, being pulled back into reality. It reminded him of Jacque when he was young and had such joy in his heart. He had to bring Quasi's joy and light down before he gets hurt like Claude was hurt.

Claude: That's right. You're a smart lad. Now...lunch. Shall we review your alphabet today?

Quasimodo: Yes master. I would like that very much.

Claude retrieved a book for Quasi's lessons and started reading the letters of the alphabet out loud for Quasimodo to say which word starts with the following letter. Abomination, Blasphemy, Contrition, Damnation, Eternal Damnation. Everything was going perfectly until Quasimodo said Festival for F. Claude almost choke on his drink when he heard Quasi giving an indirect of his wish of going to the Festival. That was the time Claude was reliving his life once again, hoping to calm Quasimodo down in staying there, hiding from society.