Chapter 37: The court of miracles

Claude felt he needed a drink before following Quasimodo to the court of miracles if he could find it. It was a long while since Claude tasted alcohol and drank to his heart's content, he wanted to make an example to the people of Notre Dame, yet he missed a drink. "Keep a close eye on the boy, I will not be far away." said he to his guards, he ordered two more to keep him company perhaps he would give them a drink, but they were wrong. Claude just sat there drinking a glass of wine while his guard waited by the entrance. 

"A little more, please." said Claude to the bartender. He noticed the young man was the son of the bartender who served drinks at Claude's favorite pub, it closed a few years ago, and now his son took his place at a new location. The man looked at Claude, a bottle of wine in hand, "How is your father? It has been so long since I saw him. He would mix the best drinks when I was young." said Claude, he seemed to be calming down speaking to a trustworthy person until he felt something was wrong. The man just kept staring at Claude, he looked grave and he was so still, almost as if he was frozen, and he was right. Claude looked outside to see his guards frozen too, time ceased to exist for a time. He looked to the other side of the pub to spot Yzanami drinking from the bottle the bartender had. Claude stood up and backed up a little, his eyes focused on her. He never saw her there when he entered the pub, he knew they were watching him, judging his every move. 

Yzanami: You disappoint us, Claude. Poor Maria. She is so mad at you, for treating poor little Quasimodo like that, and Esmeralda. It is not healthy to stick to grudges, Claude. a man like you, destroying my people and my city. Naughty, naughty boy. 

Claude: I have done what a righteous person would do! I destroy the filth and dark arts in my city. When I am done with her, you will be next and the rest. What have you done to my guards?

Yzanami: I merely froze time to see what you've become. You are out of control, and Fate will make you suffer because of it. I would stop here for your sake before they take you.

Claude: You cannot stop me and I will not do so either. Once I am done with them, I will come for you and make you suffer.

Yzanami: Poor Laverne...to know you turned out just like Jacque. Father and son together.

It was enough for Claude to snap and attempt to attack her. Claude ran toward her, taking his dagger in his hand, and raising it close to his face. He lunged the dagger to where her hand could've been because she disappeared and time was flowing back again, "Minister? Are you all right? " said the bartender, Claude looked at him, everything was as if the girl was never there and Claude would look crazy. "Minister Frollo, the boy is on the move. It seems he knows where the gypsy girl is." said one of the guards who entered quickly to let his master know about their plan was working. "Forgive me, young man. I thought I saw someone, take this money for the trouble. Give your father my greetings." said Claude and then he, along with his guards left. "Notify the rest to join us. We seize them tonight, order will be served once and for all." said Claude, one of them doing what he was ordered. Claude followed Quasimodo to the graveyard, they'd been hiding under the graveyard all this time, and Maria was hiding under the city all those years. 

He waited for his soldiers to join him, he was a little impatient because he was eager to have all of them jailed and serve justice. He seemed tired because on the other side of the graveyard he saw another female figure. The woman was staring at him, she looked serious, "Maria?" Claude thought. The figure looked like Maria, her ghost was haunting him, and he knew he was going to torment her son. Claude's head was spinning, he kept hearing her voice, her figure was not moving her mouth to speak, it was as if he was imagining her like his consciousness was telling him to stop. "Please Claude...don't hurt my child. My baby, where is the man who hated injustice? Forgive and forget what happened." she kept saying. Claude shook his head and entered the catacombs as soon as his men reunited with their master. 

Claude entered first and two other men to protect him, in case the gypsies would jump at them. The place was dark, gloomy, and dirty, they couldn't help but notice all the skeletons and feel uneasy. Perhaps their master was right, they were evil that kill innocent people, people who practice the dark arts and steal from others. They followed his master and then came a little bit of light, they were close because they kept hearing voices, Quasimodo's voice and...Pheobus? Seems they found Esmeralda because Claude could hear them. They were right where he wanted them to be, he had them cornered. Claude ordered his guards to surround and arrest each person in the court of miracles. He was amazed by such a place, he finally achieved what his father couldn't, the trio was arrested and held in place for Claude to speak with them. " After 20 years of searching, the Court of Miracles is mine at last." said Claude. He saw how Quasimodo was feeling like he was betraying his friends, he looked scared and defeated it. Claude knew he was completing everything he promised, he wanted to break his spirit just like his was broken years ago. "Dear Quasimodo, I always knew you would someday be of use to me. Well, he led me right to you, my dear " Claude added, his fire spreading and burning everything as he spoke and approached Esmeralda, she looked angry and wanted to hurt him, she never thought of such a plan, thought Claude. 

"And look what else I've caught in my net. Captain Phoebus, back from the dead. Another miracle, no doubt. I shall remedy that. There will be a little bonfire in the square tomorrow, and you're all invited to attend. Lock them up!" Yelled Claude, announcing Esmeralda's execution and other thieves will join her, he was more than happy, his thirst for vengeance was almost saturated. Quasimodo kneeled before him, Claude could feel him tugging his robes, his purpose was done and he served his master well. Perhaps he was indeed worthy of being the father he was ordered to be. Claude looked at him with such neutrality, there was no feeling of regret or fear on his face, he just stared at the boy. " Take him back to the bell tower, and make sure he stays there." said Claude, guards taking Quasi away as Claude stood for a while more and admire the place where he could've been once, among his mother, his old flame, and perhaps form a family. "I did it, father. After so many years, I have finished what you started. I will make you proud again, I hope you are seeing me now...from hell." said Claude, this led him to a chuckle, and then tears were running down his face. The young, innocent Claude was still there, barely,  the darkness possessing every corner of his heart. "Please promise me, you will help our people. Just like your mother has done." Laverne's voice echoed in his mind until he saw Yzanami in the distance, she looked angry and she was changing. Claude gave her a smirk and walked out of the place, having confidence he will destroy everything Maria and Laverne had and the fires of hell will be extinguished forever.