Chapter 6: Saint

"Maria? What a beautiful name", Claude thought. She was beautiful alright, and a very kind soul. Claude immediately ordered her a surprise drink to impress her,he could feel a smiles across her face. 

" Are you sure you're alright? I can see a bruise forming up. I think we should take you to a clinic." said Maria, Claude shook his head and touched his face, he felt a slight sting in his left cheekbone. "It's alright, I don't want to cause too much trouble, I'll drink the pain down. It helps." Claude replied. Just as when he mentioned his beverage the bartender came with a bottle and two glasses. Claude paid the drink, opened that bottle and poured it in both glasses. Maria took hers and looked around.

"My apologies. I know you want to help but I just don't want my family to know about this. My father knows everyone in Notre Dame, even our doctors." Claude said with the most honesty tone he can provide. Just as he was going to give a tip at the bartender, a young boy rushed between them taking Claude's money in a flash. The boy landed in front of Maria as she looked in awe. 

"You! give that back! Thief!" yelled Claude, Maria giggled by the boy's presence. " He's no thief. It's just little Clopin Troulliefou. The king's newest jester. " Maria explained. Clopin bowed and took his hat off to Claude, introducing himself to the tall man beside him, "You flatter me Lady Maria. I am only but an actor! A visionary! An entertainer!" cried Clopin giving the money back to Claude. Claude nodded his head, yet he didn't trust Clopin much.

That evening until midnight, when Claude was drunk and penniless, he and Maria walked to the Palace of Justice. Claude stopped at a long range, distant from the building, to prevent anyone from looking at them. "Thank you for inviting me for a drink. It seems like you needed it, and some company." Maria said, her eyes locked at Claude. His cheeks were of a soft pink, " It was a pleasure knowing you. Can we see each other again?" he asked, his voice so hopeful and so calm as well as sober-like. Maria nodded and gave him a warm smile, Claude bowed and they parted ways.

Claude did the same process of when he left his home but when he entered the building. He took a good amount of time to find his way into the darkness to his room. Once near his door he saw a figure, small and skinny, wearing a gown, he thought he saw a ghost. He got close and realized it was his own mother. "Mother?" whispered he as he faced her. "Jacque? I'm so cold my darling. Please embrace me, don't leave. Don't leave me again" Laverne said, it sounded like she was about to cry but Claude did that for her as he saw her mother being lost. He couldn't afford a sound, he led Laverne to the master bedroom, told her to lie down and rest her eyes. Laverne closed the doors herself and went to sleep. Claude wasn't so scared in his life, to lose the only person he loved and loved him back, he was lost in his thoughts as he walked until he heard whispers.

It brought chills up his spine as he felt cold and heard female whispers. It felt as if he was being visited by death. Was he too tired and too drunk that he was imagining things? He didn't hesitate. He rushed to his chambers, changed clothing and went to sleep. However it was a sleepless night for the voices didn't stop.

He thought of Maria, her beauty, her voice and grace. He admitted to himself he fell in love at first sight, was she his escape and opportunity to be free? His flower, his flame. His saint.