Chapter 24: Vermin

And He saw Corruption everywhere
Except Within
__________________________________

He couldn't believe how Notre Dame fell into dark times during those 20 years of being her judge. His beautiful city was plagued by vermin as he claimed gypsies to be. Before confronting runaway gypsies, Judge Claude Frollo watched as his henchmen would hurt and torture other prisoners. Thieves, murderers, and blasphemers weren't enough to satisfy his hunger for justice as he so-called it. His type of justice would be to punish and get rid of every fortune teller, palm reader, witch, or wizard living among the good people of Paris. He found no amusement in punishing these prisoners anymore, it was as if he had lost his touch from, the vow he took when he was young. When the fire caressed his father's skin and fear brought order to anyone who defied him.

Once he dismissed himself to his chambers he didn't do anything but start praying. For strength? Hope? Love? No, he didn't want to know of anything about love, "It is nothing but a sinful feeling that can break anyone. I pity those who feel it, it is nothing but a make pretend feeling that only leads to trouble and a path to hell." He said to himself as he looked into a mirror and behind him, he saw three shadows. Three little girls, once old women, whom he recognized instantly and yet never visit him 20 years ago. The middle one revealed to be a little boy, who resembled Claude's emotional innocence in which broke long ago. Iaga, Segenis, the girls, and Sodexus, the boy. Claude remembered their names well, a curse upon his life and his mother's when she was alive. Their presence sent shivers up Claude's spine, but he was glad he wasn't alone and might ask for their guidance.

Claude: After so many years, you have once again come. Of what do I owe the pleasure?

Segenis: Beware Young Frollo, your blindness might lead you to eternal darkness.

Sodexus: Letting go of a meaningless vow, might save your soul from what will come soon.

Claude: What riddles are you playing at? Speak clearly, children!

Iaga: Fate will once again play and lead you to an undesirable destiny. A curse will be set upon you if you are not careful. Your obsession and lust will be your greatest regrets.

"Judge Frollo!" said a guard as he opened the door, interrupting Claude and making the entities disappear. Claude immediately turned his head to look at the man "Fool! Knock before you enter! This is no time to startle me!" Claude yelled, his irritation made the guard look down and apologize in a devoting way. "Forgive me my lord, We have word from citizens. They have spotted gypsies, they are to travel under the docks of Notre Dame." The guard gathered his consciousness and spoke quickly and coherently. "Get me my horse! We are to stop them and arrest them at once!" This was what he was waiting for, to finally get a group of his enemies and to burn them in front of Notre Dame, give the rest of these vermin a warning to leave Notre Dame or join society the righteous way. The snowy, cold weather didn't stop him from meeting with this group of thieves. 

Frollo kept his word, mounting his horse with a few guards leading the way to the docks of Notre Dame. He spotted them in a distance, about three of them, Claude didn't think long and gave his guards a signal to surround them. As soon as they did, Claude approached them and examined them. He immediately focused on a couple, a tall man with a mustache, long black hair, hat, and cape; and a woman hooded in purple, beautiful, holding a piece of cloth, probably carrying something of value. For a moment he recognized them perfectly. After 20 years he never thought he would finally get his hands on the ones that created him this way. It was but Maria and Pierre Gringoire.

It was when he saw his past life when he was but a boy who fell in love and was betrayed. He kept his word again, remembering that if he was to see them again, he would destroy them. He just stared at Maria, how scared and vulnerable he was, how beautiful and desperate she looked, unlike when they knew each other before. They didn't cross words as the guards were arresting Pierre and the other gypsy, they just stood there, staring at her, separating the couple, wanting to make them suffer. Claude had Maria right in his hands, make her feel what he felt 20 years ago.

"Bring these gypsy vermin to the palace of Justice!" said Claude, his tone was cold and his eyes were the icicle impaling Maria's heart. One guard noticed Marie was carrying something so he ordered her to reveal it "Stolen goods, no doubt. Take them from her!" Claude ordered. Maria just wanted Claude to stop with his nonsense. As the guards approached her, Maria started running away, Away for her life for many lives that night. Claude didn't take any chances and rushed to her, charging his horse like a bull, chasing the woman with all his might. She was mighty fast, but not devoted enough like Claude was to imprison her. "Maria! Get back here at once! And I promise you life in prison! " Claude yelled but she didn't listen.

It was until She bumped into the Cathedral's doors to keep safe and claimed sanctuary. What was she protecting so hard? What could possibly be that she was acting that way? He thought many things as he was looking for her and heard her yell for a place of peace. This time, he was sure she wouldn't get away.