Chapter 1: Cooped up

It seemed Claude was on the brink of death by his father's lessons, his life couldn't have been more boring by such formalities. Of course a young man in his twenties would like to see the world and be free.As the heir of the most important judge of Paris and keeper of the order and peace, it was imperative he had to learn about the weight he has to carry after his father passes. Claude was but an innocent boy, who was coldly treated by his father, Jacque Frollo. Jacque feared and hated witchcraft, and he had many reasons to hate it. Paris was going through dark times, first the plague and gypsies, who Jacque thought they were witches and thought they would hurt his sons and heirs physically and mentally, being so young. Jacque was a very strict man, religious and firm. Claude feared him for when he was young he would give him a few beatings for disobeying his father.

Jacque slammed his bible by Claude's desk since his son was looking out the window daydreaming instead of paying attention to Jacque's lessons. Claude made a small jump and sat straight, looking directly at his father. Jacque was raving mad in disappointment and disapproval. He felt frustration knowing that his legacy will be doomed forever if the boy didn't pay attention. He placed his hand on his Bible and looked up.

-"Lord, forgive my son for not learning your ways. Punish me instead. Guide him into the path of righteousness." Jacque said out loud.

-" F-Forgive me father. I was just a little tired. Please proceed with the lessons you provide me." Claude finally said with his head bent, hoping his father would forgive him.

Jacque turned around and continued his speech and lectures, as Claude slowly succumbed to the fact that this wasn't what he wanted.

By dusk they left the cathedral, the great Notre Dame De París. A place of sanctuary, power and beauty. The house of the Lord as Jacque said. Claude was actually fascinated by the building, a great structure. It was one place he could use his own thoughts and actually pray on his own, prayers about his mother's health and his father, for Jacque to change and care for his family instead of purging the supposed evil in the world.

It was hot in Paris, it was summer but it looked like it was going to rain. Both men rushed to the palais de justice, the Palace of Justice. Claude gave one final look at the cathedral and then around the city. A great festival was going to take place in a matter of days. A festival in which Claude was forbidden to go ever since by his father's rules, according to Jacque, it was to avoid distraction and not to stray from his path. Claude was a only  child eager to go have fun. Now as heir he was allowed to meet and greet new people. The great F.O.F.

The festival of fools.

___________________________

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and enjoy!