XI. Double meanings

> I'll be assuming 1 Jenny is nearly 1 Yen / Cent / Penny

"That will be 7200 Jenny." Keys clacked as Dalilah finished the checkout. Golden brown eyes rose to meet mine, there was still a lot of doubt on them. I could only assume the married facade wasn't working. I handed her my debit card, half in terror wondering if I had enough. The rent wasn't due yet was it...? 7200 Jenny was enough to feed me for two weeks, three if there were good sales...

Her delicate fingers swiped the card with usual expertise after inserting the amount, and my worn-down card landed softly on my palm as she turned the payment terminal to face me. Holding back a sigh, something I seemed to be constantly doing lately, I typed the pin and hit the green button. When 'APPROVED' flashed on the tiny green screen my whole body relaxed and I smiled politely as I returned the terminal so she could print out the receipt.

I felt someone breathing near my ear and was about to jump away when his hands landed on my hips. "Were you just worried that you didn't have 7200 Jenny?" I felt him chuckle silently as I froze in my place, Dalilah's glossy lips thinned as she narrowed her eyes at both of us.

"Thi- This is not the place to try to seduce me... Michael." I turned to face him, waved a hand at my travel bag and watched his eyebrow raise just slightly before a fake smile grew on his lips.

He shrugged and lifted it with ease, "If I didn't know you, I'd say you were finding a way to keep my hands busy, darling. But we both know I can do it perfectly well without them..."

My nose wrinkled at both the lousy threat and the sexual innuendo. I waved my goodbyes at Dalilah while mouthing a quick 'sorry he's such a dumbass'. She smirked and jumped over the counter to hand me her business card. "I own most motels east of here, if you're going that way, I'll be sure to give you a discount if you need to rest."

"That's very attentive of you, my spouse will surely take advantage of that to avoid my car songs now. Thank you." 

I took the card and left the building with the Spider in tow. Keys jiggled in front of my eyes before I leapt to catch them as they fell. The Spider was already moving towards the trunk. I scurried to unlock the car and sat back on the driver's seat, it wasn't burning me alive and I counted that as an upgrade.

He opened the door, entered gracefully and tossed three or four bags of chips inside the glove compartment. His silvery dark eyes met mine, seemingly unbothered that all I had done since entering the car was stare at him. "Eat this, we're not stopping any time soon."

I took the slim paper bag and pulled a sandwich out, where had he gotten this? Was he truly stealing? Where was the police? I took large bites and chewed as fast as I could, taking a few minutes to rev up the engine when I held the last bite. It didn't taste like much, there was some lettuce perhaps some cheese and ham... I wouldn't complain, food was food and even though I didn't want to continue this misery of a life, I'd rather not be brutally killed by my captor.

I backed off the parking lot and followed Chrollo's instructions silently. When the buildings disappeared behind us, he unfolded the large map once more. Were we heading east? It certainly didn't look like it... What was this man planning? Did he have a plan? If he did, was that a good or a bad thing? Just how much longer could this go on? Didn't criminals usually get arrested someday?

Would I spend the rest of my life in a prison cell?

At least I wouldn't have to worry about paying the rent...

"F/A?" My S/C fingers tapped the worn-down leather of the wheel and I hummed in response to the Spider. I didn't want to look at him, his expressions felt so cold and unwelcoming. I didn't need to be reminded that I was kidnapped by an eccentric looking priest.

"Well, that isn't polite. Don't you look at people's eyes when they talk to you?" My index finger twitched. I couldn't suppress my emotions forever... They would explode... annoyance... fear... desperation... sadness... grief... They were just waiting for a crack on my resolve to slip out and flood my head, cut down the little rational thought I was having.

"Is your name really Chrollo?" A black and white vehicle appeared in the distance, right ahead, a police vehicle. My stomach sunk and I wasn't even a criminal. Was I?

"I'll answer when you ask politely." My eyes rolled and I turned my head to face the Spider, to face the ever-shifting dark eyes.

"Is your name Chrollo?" He held my gaze, "Also you shouldn't distract the driver, what if my hands followed my eyes? We'd be crashing against those trees." I glanced behind him, at the greenery falling behind for a split of a second before returning to his face.

"It is Chrollo." My eyes returned to the road, "And you're a taxi driver, I'm sure your habits would prove useful in this situation."

"Is the police looking for you?" The car was parked before a large roundabout. "What exit on the roundabout?"

Silence followed. I took a deep breath. Why was he being an insufferable brat today? Did the little sleep I had simply take my patience away? If I snapped at him what as the worst that could happen? "You can't possibly expect me to look at you every time you have to talk."

"Oh, but that's where you're wrong, I can. After all I am the one holding your life right now."

"Then maybe you should drop it. Free those 'oh so great' hands of yours." 

 > Author's Note: I am back with a weird chapter of sorts once more!What are you thinking of it so far? Where do you see this going?

What are you thinking of it so far? Where do you see this going?