XLIV. Arrival

Humid cold was the worst of them all. My clothes felt icy, clinging to my body for any remnant of warmth, I continued my pathetic sniffing march following Chrollo's whispered directions. My waist still burned, remembering his strong hands touch to support me when I had slipped a while ago. 

It felt like an eternity, and perhaps it was, but the sun was merely setting when the space between trees increased and soil was available to walk on once more. The relief I felt, when my feet sunk into a soft dirt path, had me smiling like a dumbass. 

A small pebbled road led us to the tinniest village and the last rays of sun evaded us as Chrollo stroke up conversation with an older man, who was putting away the inn's tables and chairs. The sign by the door stated that they served lunches and dinners, my mouth watered at the thought of a decently spiced and baked meal. Luck, however, was never on my side. I opened my mouth to ask Chrollo if we could stay for dinner, but before I managed to get a single word out, his warm fingers tapped twice on my lips, rendering me effectively speechless.

Why was he so... so... I shook my head, clearing away any unholy thoughts, and I finally caught up on his weird accent. An accent he didn't have, but that matched the old man's to a tee. How did he...? We weren't playing foreigners? 

Chrollo's hand snaked around my waist and pulled me along with a quick nod to the man, and I bit my lip to keep any comments to myself. Not that I needed to physically stop them, I was really speechless. Why was his rural accent kind of attractive? What was wrong with me? He wasn't treating me any better, he just wasn't ignoring me. 

How pathetic did I have to be? How touch starved? How could I be touch starved when he had touched me... oh, he'd done so much more than just touch me by the creek. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and looked around, focusing on not thinking about him. He was so close, his body warm against my side, the weigh of his arm around my waist felt like comfort...

We approached a small wooden bench just a few minutes away from the inn just as an old square bus stopped next to it. Chrollo bought us tickets and ushered me to the back. I sat by the window, and he followed suit. I jumped when he spread his legs, as his warm thigh touched mine. How could I feel his warmth even through his trousers. 

Was he back to his usual confident self? I shivered and looked out the window, it felt odd to be on the move without having to drive. I wasn't needed any more... but here I stood, still alive. What did he have in mind? 

I rubbed my hands together, watching the small village disappear, and the road broaden as the bus followed its path. Something creaked and flapped every time the driver stepped on the gas, and I took a good look at the insides of the vehicle. It was in general old and worn, the borders of the seats were chipped, and the overhead bins were shaking suspiciously. 

It was halfway full and people grouped with their companions, some eagerly chatting in whispers, some sleeping, others catching up on their books. When my eyes took Chrollo in, he was already looking at me, I drew closer to his ear, remembering how he had stopped me from speaking before. "Can't speak out loud, can I?"

"No." He muttered.  

Figures... "How long is the ride for?"

He leaned towards me and I felt his nose against my right cheek for a moment, just a soft caress, and his breath fanned over my neck. "We'll get there in the morning."

"Ah..." I took a deep breath, "Then-" The bus took a sharp left and I slammed against him, my face buried in the crook of his neck and my right hand grasped his shirt over his chest. My heart somersaulted and started beating wildly as I peeled away from him, blood rushing to my face. Sweet lord, help me. Why did he... smell... good? AAAAAAAA. I blinked twice, gaze fixed on his neck. 

"You can sleep, if you want to." He whispered, and I fell back to my seat, forcing my back against the seat and closing my eyes. It took me forever to fall asleep. My head kept falling, and I forced myself to simply not care when it landed on his shoulder. He didn't shake me off, and I faked unconsciousness... 

Something shook me and I drowsily hummed, eyes fluttering open to meet Chrollo's dark grey ones. I took a deep breath and his index finger touched my lips in a silent order to keep my foreign accent to myself. I nodded and followed him out of the bus, with watery, freshly awoken eyes and long yawns. 

Sea air cleared my sluggish brain and I gasped when I noticed the sea just to my right as I grabbed my backpack, which I had forgotten to take with me in my half-asleep state, and Chrollo had graciously carried out for me. "W-" I pressed my lips together and made way to follow him silently. 

I wanted to walk to the harbour, and play in the water, but Chrollo started going up a small street parallel to the sea at the distance. We turned several times, walking silently through vacant streets. Cars couldn't even fit these alleys...

We had reached the westernmost point of the continent... What was he looking for? What were we doing here? Where were his allies? Did he have to sail to a different continent? What would I do?

The alleys inclined, and I felt winded as I trudged behind him, up and up... at some point it would've been better to just build stairs instead of these shitty little alleys! I kept my annoyance to myself... What if Chrollo told me to never speak in public again?! I couldn't... I wanted to give my little comments, feel a little freedom... 

"We're here." 

"Huh?"

Author's Note: Look at me... updating semi regularly for a week... I'm surprised.