XVII. Under the stars

The pieces didn't seem broken so perhaps it was only a matter of finding their place and screwing them in? What if I was missing any screws? I shook those thoughts away and dragged the pieces and the tool with me under the car. It was a tight fit and I couldn't see that well. This would take forever to fix.

If a car happened to drive by... would Chrollo steal it and kill me along with its passengers? If it was a newer car... he wouldn't need me to drive... Maybe he'd simply leave me here? To die... Could I survive around here? Left alone by the woods with a broken down car?

I swallowed those thoughts away and set to work, cursing and humming as pieces fit to their places and the screws slipped from my fingers because everything was oily somehow.

Chrollo didn't say a word, I didn't even know if he was there or not. A part of me wanted to leave and look around to make sure he hadn't left me and started walking his way into civilization as I fixed this dinosaur of a car. I didn't. I didn't know what I'd say to justify my relief if I saw him just standing outside, face bored as if I hadn't just delayed his plans.

It was starting to get darker as I finally finished putting all the pieces I could find to their right places. Some were barely hanging since I didn't have all the screws, some seemed oddly misplaced but there was no other form to add them to the mix. I hoped for the best and dragged myself and the toolbox from under the car. The grass had been comfortable enough to lay but I was feeling itchy.

Chrollo was sitting by a tree, basking in the shade and flipping through a book. Where had he gotten a book? Had he stolen it along with his clothes? My heart sunk with relief. He was still there. He had waited. He didn't seem bothered by the fact that the car had broken down in the middle of a remote fucking road and all that surrounded us were trees. If he wasn't worried, I shouldn't be worried. That was a flawed thought. I knew it straight away.

I slid onto the driver's seat and decided to wipe most of the oil and lubricant on my trousers. It pained me but I had nothing else to wipe them on. A deep breath later, I was stepping on the clutch and twisting the key. The car made some noise but didn't make it past the whining and hiccupping.

I tried again.

And again.

A groan left my lips as I laid my forehead on the wheel. The sun was setting, my eyes were tired from straining so much to see where the pieces went... I could only continue this tomorrow...

The sun had set under the tall trees, the moon had started showing when I decided to leave my sorrowful position and walk over to Chrollo.

He hadn't looked my way once. Not when I tried to get the car to work, not when it failed.... Nothing.

I sat on a tree facing him. Lips tight and rubbed some of my hair off my forehead.

"Feeling up for a night under the stars?" His deep voice had me jumping out of my skin.

"What choice do I have?"

"True that." He got up. Stretched and I met his gaze as he looked down on me. "There's oil on your forehead and chin."

"Do I look like a starved mechanic?"

"No, you look like a teenager who tripped over the oil can." I coughed instead of laughing, my lungs hurt, and my organs seemed to be rearranging themselves on my belly.

"Should I be worried about looking younger, priest?" His lips quirked up and I saw his eyes scrunching as he turned away to get his large travelling bag from the car.

Pushing myself up I looked around for a nice Y/N shaped patch of grass. There was one further into the forest, I could still see the car from that point, it was just slightly hidden from the road. I deemed it good enough... I had never slept outside but it seemed right.

Chrollo returned and dropped his heavy bag right by the edge of the forest, he pulled his large fluffy jacket and stretched it on the floor. That was smart. A good jacket. I had thought it tacky and unnecessary, but it seemed perfect for this kind of occasion. "Priests are always ready for a night out, huh?"

"So are murderers and thieves." He murmured back as he sat on his jacket and looked at the car.

"Yep. That makes me feel so much better." I took a deep breath and curled up, trying to get myself comfortable enough to sleep.

"You're welcome, always here to please." I heard him shift on his jacket, the fabric rustled, and I turned around so I could sleep facing him. Days of this and I couldn't manage to turn my back to him.

"Please." I huffed, feeling a giggle chasing me. He was laying on his back, eyes closed, chest heaving softly. A handsome man. Could it be all the murder and thievery? Perhaps having no worries was good for the skin...

I closed my eyes, listening to the leaves rustling, branches creaking and bugs flying. It took forever to find a good position and keep it for long enough to somehow feel my consciousness fade. It didn't feel like a second had passed when I heard the sound of a car slowing down.

I jumped up, heart beating too fast, lightheaded and my breathing picked up when my eyes fell on Chrollo's jacket. Its owner wasn't there. I tiptoed to the edge of the forest, stepped on a branch and cursed. There was not a drop of stealth in me. With that certainty, I avoided stepping on Chrollo's jacket and walked toward the general direction of the car's headlights.

Soft voices were brought over to me by a cool breeze, I trembled and squinted to see some shapes that resembled humans. What was I to do now? One of them looked like Chrollo.

In one blink, only one figure stood, two loud thuds had me jumping and then... only the sounds of the night.

"Oh fuck." I heard myself whisper as I dashed to the Spider's side. "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck-"