VII. Hostage

My left eye twitched. Did this thief - and let's add possible murderer - just say one room? The lady at the counter eyed me with an all too knowing look.

"Your companion doesn't seem to share the same excitement." Fearing nothing, her umber arm stretched under the counter, waiting for my response to trigger any alarm. My eyes left her golden brown ones for the Spider's, how dangerous was this man truly? His face was nothing but serene, nothing showing any threat... But I knew better. He had knocked me out in the car... The entrance was small, we were too close to the receptionist, there was little to stop him from doing as before...

He'd knock her out and even if I tried to run... He'd catch me and punish me. There was no easy escape in this... There never was.

"I'm just-" A sigh left my lips as I felt myself sinking closer to being a criminal. "incredibly tired... I'm glad we're taking a break, I couldn't stand this man's travel songs for one more second." His pale lips stretched, shadows twinkling on his grey-ish eyes as he pulled me closer, his arm snaking around me awfully close to my waist.

"I guess our honeymoon could be going better isn't that right, darling?" 

Her red eyebrow rose, still doubtful but her arm shifted to lay on the light wooden counter casually. I stared at the beige wall behind her in exasperation before shaking it off.

"Yes... It has been going... Awfully." As if I'd marry a shady looking priest, what a pain. "I'm sure a bath and a comfortable bed will help though."

He nodded along, stepping closer to the counter to add some pressure.

"What name will it be under?" She leaned over the counter, feeling no threat, light now hit her nametag and I focused on it, trying to discern a name. Dahlia? Dalilah? My supposed husband didn't take long to reply.

"Michael L/N. One night." My E/C eyes felt like popping out as they widened. It had to be a coincidence... Coincidences didn't happen often though... "I took my spouse's last name, had to think for a bit... It still feels odd to say, you know?"

A nervous laughter left me, more to fill up the silence and provide an answer as my mind sunk in. Of course he knew who I was, that was my taxi, I probably have my driver's license and documents somewhere... Just how dumb could I be...

"So what's the unhappy spouse's name?" E/C met gold, now it seemed that her eyes were tilting towards a relaxed honey colour.

''Y/N... " I sighed, thankful that my role to play was nearly as unhappy and miserable as I was feeling.

"Y/N L/N." Dahlia hummed as she typed away, each key sounding as clanky as the run down computer that was whooshing and trying to catch up to the input. "Any preferences for the couple?"

My eyes drifted off to the spider, how was he planning to pay for this? My name was there... My actual name... "Something cheap, we have a long road ahead, might as well save some money."

"Shouldn't we go for the best, darling?" His head tilted my way, too perfectly calculated to look casual. "Oh, perhaps somewhere where noise won't be a problem?"

Dalilah, as I had finally been able to rectify in the tag, seemed absolutely disgusted, her eyebrows furrowing before her gaze diverted from the Spider's. "Cheap was it, honey?" 

I nodded, perhaps my situation wasn't as bad as actually being married to this good for nothing Michael. Who knew... 

"You'll be staying in room 306, when would you like to check out?"

"Tomorrow by midday? Does that work, Y/N?" 

I shivered, my name coming out of those lips only to haunt me. As if I'd ever have the better hand with this man... "In a lack for better... Yes." 

Chrollo grabbed the keys only to toss them to me and head out. "I'll go get our things." 

I simply hummed, lost in a daze, I felt too weak, too debilitated to fight whatever was going down. When was the last time I had eaten? When did I wash myself for the last time? How long had I been out in the trunk of a car?

I forced myself up the stairs to the third floor, too faded to care about how I looked. Now that he wasn't nearby everything was coming to me, panic and adrenaline vanishing and leaving my head weighing a ton. I had to squint to discern the numbers in the doors and the struggle to unlock the door broke my spirit.

The room was empty and smelled a little bit like disinfectant. There was a mirror ahead which showed my very mistreated figure. No wonder Dalilah had thought I was a hostage... I mean... I was in fact a hostage.

There was a light wooden wardrobe next to the only window on the wall to the right, and to the left stood a double bed with a smooth navy blue bedspread and two barely plump white pillows.

What had that man gone to get? There was no luggage to bring. I sat on the bed and noticed the door to a supposed bathroom. I was needing a good shower, but I had nothing to wear and putting on this dress shirt and these awful looking pants both sweaty and unwashed was a bad idea.

How would this even work out? I barely had money to afford this room, I couldn't go out to buy clothes... Perhaps a second-hand shop? I felt truly dizzy. The thought of falling asleep on this clean bed with dirty clothes and all sweaty stopped being that much of a problem as I laid down, sideways on the bed, feet still on top of the thinnest carpet in existence.

Being a hostage was pushing my stress out of bounds, how many worries could I pile up without being able to wash them away?

> Author's Note: It took me a while, I'm sorry, our lovely reader is having a really hard time. What are your thoughts for the next chapters?