XXX. Leg

"Yup..." I whispered, aware that he'd hear it perfectly. His eyebrows drew closer together, creating wrinkles between them. The idea that he could be at loss... that he was confused and couldn't understand me made my lips stretch upwards.

His hand was warm over my wrist, he hadn't let go, I hadn't flinched away nor pulled my arm from his grip.

That was a killer, a thief... holding my wrist, face morphed into confusion, and I hadn't flinched! That was the kind of confidence I needed.

He stepped closer, pulling my wrist up next to his cheek. "What's making you smile?"

I took a deep breath, my hand was nearly grazing his pale skin... "Your face." Why was my voice all breathy and soft?

"What about it?" Chrollo whispered, his dark eyebrow inching upwards, I felt the words over the skin of my forearm.

"Your confusion. The pensive way your eyes are creasing, and your lips are pressing together..." My eyes moved from his to his glimmering lips as he licked them.

"Huh... Who would've known..." His teasing tone had me turning my face away from his, now all I could see were the large trees that surrounded the river mirrored over the water mixing with the blue sky with the relaxed ripples. "That you would like such a look in someone else." I felt his hold on my wrist shake, as he chuckled dryly.

What was I even doing? Looking away? That was no good. I straightened my back, unbothered by the nude skin that poked out of the water as I did, my eyes met his dark grey ones once again, "Are you curious?"

"Hm." He tilted his head and my wrist now felt the warmth of his cheek, goosebumps spread all over my skin and I forced myself not to startle and dash out. No. I would not break my confidence spell, whatever was going on... I was feeling lighter than I ever had in years! I didn't have to care about what this man thought of me.

"I'll answer any question truthfully, if you ask politely." I licked my lips and his eyes flickered down, tracking the movement. 

He didn't reply, and we stood locked in place. Feeling stray water droplets roll over our bodies and meet the river in low plops.

I blinked the moment away and pulled my hand from his grip, turning to the place where he had caught the fish.

Awkwardness was consuming me. Silent stare downs were just... too high level. Too difficult for me still. Looking him in the eyes made my skin itch, and my brain run faster than it should. How was I to be able to hold his stare, when a million voices and noises seemed to be fighting for something within my head?

My stomach rumbled, and I wasn't feeling hungry... My head was feeling heavy, and my temples were hurting... Had I gone past the initial signs of hunger? "Shall we start catching fish for lunch?" 

Was it even lunchtime? I stared at the sky, the sun seemed to be itching closer to the top branches of the surrounding trees. Well... It was past noon.

"Can you even fish?" His voice echoed far too close for my liking, but I held my surprise in and played off my initial flinch as surprise at something getting caught on my feet. Thankfully, I hadn't felt any weird gooey algae or vegetation caressing my legs again... That was... just... such a horrible experience.

"Won't you teach me? It doesn't seem like you... to be wanting to do all the work by yourself." I thought back to the night I had spent digging a grave for a person Chrollo had killed, mercilessly. What of their families? What will happen when someone starts to ask questions about their disappearance? 

Would anyone be looking for me?

"A spider has many legs." He walked ahead, leading the way down the stream of water. I shook my head to clear my thoughts, there was no need to dwell in the... less happy parts of my life. There was no need to dwell at all. 

"And you poor soul only have two... Although... since you are part of the Phantom Troupe, the spider, you're but a single leg. How sad." Was he missing his other legs? Were they close? Did they hang out a lot? Were there friendships? What do criminals do when they're not committing crimes? I couldn't help but wonder- 

"I'm not a leg." He replied with some bite. Perhaps my snarky comments weren't the way to go with my baseless confidence. 

I giggled at his tone, the way he had said he was not a leg with such seriousness- 

"I'm the head." He stopped in his tracks to look back at me, his lips quirked in mockery. 

"So without them... you're nothing?" I took quiet steps toward him, pushing down the insecure thoughts as the water that covered me reached only to my belly.

His eyes widened, and his dark eyebrows shot up. I found my place beside him and squinted down to the cloudy water, seeing soft shadows moving in tandem below the surface.

I waited three breaths before I looked up at him, expecting a quick answer, some banter and snark. He was, surprisingly, pensive once more. His eyebrows furrowed and lips pursed looked particularly tasty on him.

Oh sweet lord- Had I just considered tasting his lips? Should I own it? Should I be unbothered by my physical attraction to this man? Confidence is accepting and understanding one's feelings. Confidence is to be able to demonstrate them without shyness or shame. 

Was that what confidence was?

Was confidence not faking it until everyone else believed it? Was confidence not... a simple act, the better one was at playing their part, the more confidence they seemed to have. 

"This is going to be a long trip." Chrollo muttered under his breath as his hand swooped down and scooped a silvery fish from the water. All the other fishes dispersed quickly in fear. 

I found myself nodding in agreement, "Is it not already being one?" 

He handed me the now still fish. I was thankful that he had waited for the flapping to stop. And stopped my inner thoughts to spiral into introspection once more at the desperate movements of a dying animal. 

"You really make three days seem like eternity, Y/N." 

Author's Note: Why hello there kind readers~~~ (I am totally not updating this at 3 am) It has been a bit, I can't wait to hear you complain about the lack of smut~