Y3: The Cross

"My dear, you have the Grim,"

"Wake up!" Hermione yelled as she hit Violet with a pillow.
Violet's eyes shot open and immediately closed due to the light.
"What do you want?!" Violet asked as she pulled her blanket over her face.
"You've missed breakfast!" Hermione scolded.
"Okay?!" Violet yelled.
Violet didn't mind missing breakfast because she never really had breakfast anyway. The dining room at Malfoy Manor was always filled with death eaters by the time she woke up.

Violet slowly opened her eyes and let them adjust. Everybody's bed was made. The only people in the room were Violet and Hermione. Hermione wore her uniform and had her hair done already.
"Get out of bed! We have Divination in 15 minutes!" Hermione scolded.
Violet groaned and slowly slipped off her bed.

⚯🔮📖⚡

After Violet had changed into her uniform and brushed her hair she collected her books and made her way to Professor Trelawney's classroom for Divination.
"Welcome to Divination, My name is Professor Trelawney. You may not have seen me before. I find that descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the main school clouds my Inner Eye," she sang.

"You, boy," she said suddenly to Neville. "Is your grandmother well?" she asked.
"I think so," nodded Neville.
"I wouldn't be so sure if I were you, dear," said Professor Trelawney.
Violet already hated her, Violet knew Neville cared deeply about his grandmother and thought that Professor Trelawney shouldn't be joking about things like that.

Professor Trelawney continued, "We will be covering the basic methods of Divination this year. The first term will be devoted to reading the tea leaves. Next term we shall progress to palmistry. By the way, my dear," she shot suddenly at Parvati Patil, "beware a red-haired man."
Parvati gave a startled look at Ron, who was right behind her and scooted her chair away from him.

"In the second term," Professor Trelawney went on, "we shall progress to the crystal ball. Unfortunately, classes will be disrupted in February by a nasty bout of flu. And around Easter, one of our numbers will leave us forever. I wonder, dear," she said to Lavender Brown, who was nearest.  "if you could pass me the largest silver teapot?" she asked.
Lavender, looking relieved, stood up, took a teapot from the shelf, and put it down on the table in front of Professor Trelawney.
"Thank you, my dear. Incidentally, that thing you are dreading will happen on Friday the sixteenth of October," she added.

"Now, I want you all to divide into pairs. Collect a teacup from the shelf, come to me, and I will fill it. Then sit down and drink. Then give your cup to your partner to read. You will interpret the patterns using pages five and six of Unfogging the Future." Professor Trelawney.

When Hermione and Violet had their teacups filled, they went back to their table and drank the scalding tea, and then they swapped teacups.
"What can you see in mine?" Hermione asked.
"You've got a Sun...? Which means great happiness." Violet answered.
"You've got a Club...? No, no. A cross! Which means- Oh..." said Hermione.
"What does a cross mean?" asked Violet.
Hermione slid her book over to Violet.
Violet looked for a picture of a cross. When she found it she read under it and it read:
'The Cross: Trials & Suffering
You are in grave danger, dark days ahead.'
"How exciting," Violet said sarcastically, as she slid the book back to Hermione.

Professor Trelawney gasped while inspecting Harry's cup. There's no way it could be worse than hers, Violet thought.
"What is it, Professor?" said Dean Thomas at once.
"My dear, you have the Grim," Trelawney responded with terror in her voice.
"The what?" said Harry.
"The Grim, my dear, the Grim!" cried Professor Trelawney, who looked shocked that Harry hadn't understood. "It is an omen of death!" Trelawney wailed. "I think we will have to leave the lesson here for today."

⚯🔮📖⚡

Now it was time for Care Of Magical Creatures which Violet despised. Partly because of the teacher switch up, but also because she hated the outdoors. She was also allergic to most animals so that didn't help either.

"That's it! Make sure yeh can see. now, the first thing you'll want ter do is open yer books-" Professor Hagrid started.
"How?" asked Draco.
"Eh?" questioned Hagrid.
"How do we open our books?" Pansy asked as if she was talking to a small unintellectual child.

"Hasn't anyone bin able ter open their books?" asked Hagrid.
The class all shook their heads, taking out their own books.
"Yeh've got ter stroke 'em," explained Hagrid, as though this was the most obvious thing in the world.
Hagrid took Hermione's copy and ripped off the Spellotape that bound it. The book tried to bite, but Hagrid ran his forefinger down its spine, and the book fell open and lay quietly in Hagrid's hand. Violet furrowed her eyebrows and copied his actions, untying the purple ribbon she put on her book. The rest of the class followed suit.

Violet heard footsteps and looked up from her book to see 12 very bizarre creatures trotting towards her and the class. Gasps were heard as everyone laid their eyes on the creatures. The animals had the bodies, hind legs, and tails of horses, but the front legs, wings, and heads of what seemed to be giant eagles. 

"Hippogriffs! Beautiful, aren't they?"  Hagrid roared happily, waving a hand at them. "Yeh always waits for the Hippogriff ter make the first move," Hagrid continued. "It's polite, see? Yeh walks toward him, and yeh bow, an' yeh wait. If he bows back, yeh're allowed ter touch him. If he doesn't bow, then back away from him. Right, who wants ter go first?"

Most of the class backed farther away in answer.
"No one?" asked Hagrid, with a pleading look.
"I-I'll try-" said Harry.
"Oooh, no, Harry, remember your tea leaves!" Draco teased.
Harry ignored him and climbed over the paddock fence.

"Good man, Harry! Right then, let's see how yeh get on with Buckbeak." roared Hagrid.
He untied one of the chains and pulled a grey Hippogriff away from the others.
"Easy now, Harry. Yeh've got eye contact, now try not ter blink...Hippogriffs don' trust yeh if yeh blink too much..."
The Hippogriff had turned his head and stared at Harry, "Tha's it, Harry...now, bow."
Harry gave a short bow and then looked up. The Hippogriff slowly bowed down in front of him.

"Harry, I reckon he might let yeh ride him! Yeh climb up there, just don' pull any of his feathers out, he won' like that..." Hagrid said.
Harry put his foot on the top of Buckbeak's wing and hoisted himself onto its back.

Without warning, the Hippogriff jumped up and flew circles around the sky. It soon came back with a startled-looking Harry.
"Okay, who else wants a go?" Hagrid asked. Emboldened by Harry's success, the rest of the class (except Violet and the same group of Slytherins) climbed cautiously into the paddock. Hagrid untied the rest of the Hippogriffs one by one. All around the paddock, people were bowing nervously.

Harry walked over to Violet who seemed to be the only Gryffindor that had no interest in the strange creatures.
"Hi.." Harry said nervously.
"Hey, Harry right?" Violet responded.
She mentally facepalmed. Obviously his name was Harry, she's spoken to him several times before.
"Yeah. Don't you uh want a go?" he asked politely.
"Not really," Violet shrugged.
"Why?" asked Harry.
"Maybe because I just don't want to," Violet replied stubbornly.

All Violet wanted at that moment was for Harry to leave her alone. Her whole life she had been taught that Harry was evil. In truth, Violet feared Harry would kill her as he 'killed' her mom's boyfriend.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked in concern.
"Yes," Violet responded with gritted teeth.
"You don't seem alright," Harry added.
"Please, leave me alone," Violet sighed.
"Violet-" Harry started but got cut off by Violet.
"Leave me the fuck alone," Violet almost shouted.
The whole class turned around to look at her, she hadn't intended for it to be as loud as it was.

Violet glanced around to see everybody's eyes on her, even Hagrid's. Violet rolled her eyes and walked off toward the castle. She heard people yelling out her name but she didn't care. She didn't care if she got detention for walking out of class either.

"Alrigh', wha's goin' on here?!" roared Hagrid walking up to Harry.
"I-I just asked her if she wanted to have a go riding the Hippogriffs..." Harry answered carefully.
"You're seriously trying to convince us that you made her run away because you asked her if 'she wanted a go'?!" Draco yelled, trying to defend his cousin.
"Just stop! You guys are acting like you're in primary school!" Hermione wailed stepping in front of Harry.
"It's really none of your guys' business," Harry said gloomily.
Harry pushed Hermione away as he started walking towards the castle.
"Alrigh', class dismissed!" Hagrid boomed.