Y4: More Publicity

"Exactly what I need. More publicity."

Harry had thought that matters would improve once everyone got used to the idea of him being champion. The following day showed him how wrong he was.

He could no longer avoid the rest of the school once he was back at lessons and it was clear that the rest of the school, just like the Gryffindors, thought Harry had entered himself for the tournament. Unlike the Gryffindors, however, they did not seem impressed.

The Hufflepuffs, who were usually on excellent terms with the Gryffindors, had turned remarkably cold toward the whole lot of them.

It was plain that the Hufflepuffs felt that Harry had stolen their champion's glory. Hufflepuff House very rarely got any glory, Cedric was one of the few who had ever given them any, having beaten Gryffindor once at Quidditch.

Ron was still refusing to talk to Harry. Hermione sat between them, making very forced conversation, but though both answered her normally, they avoided making eye contact with each other. Violet, who sat by Hermione, wouldn't stop sighing at their pettiness.

⚯🔮📖⚡

When Harry, Violet, and Hermione arrived at Snape's dungeon after lunch, they found the Slytherins waiting outside, each and every one of them wearing a large badge on their robes.

For one wild moment, Violet thought they were S.P.E.W. badges - then she saw that they all had the same message, in luminous red letters that burnt brightly in the dimly lit underground passage:

'SUPPORT CEDRIC DIGGORY-
THE REAL HOGWARTS CHAMPION!'

"Like them, Potter?" said Draco loudly as Harry approached. "And this isn't all they do - look!"
He pressed his badge into his chest, and the message upon it vanished, to be replaced by another one, which glowed green:

'POTTER STINKS!'

"Oh very funny," Violet said sarcastically to Pansy Parkinson and her gang of Slytherin girls, who were laughing harder than anyone, "really witty."

Ron was standing against the wall with Dean and Seamus. He wasn't laughing, but he wasn't sticking up for Harry either.

"Want one, Lestrange, Granger?" said Draco, holding out a badge to Violet and Hermione. "I've got loads."

"I'd love one!" said Violet.
Harry's face twisted. Betrayal? Draco smirked and handed Violet one.
"I knew you'd come around, cousin," he grinned.

Some of the anger Harry had been feeling for days and days seemed to burst through a dam in his chest.

Violet grinned and threw the badge on the ground. Now everyone was confused. She pulled out her wand and pointed it at the badge.

"Diffindo!" Violet said.

The badge split in half. Draco gasped. Harry let out a sigh of relief. Violet grinned at her own unnecessary action.

Draco had pulled out his wand and pointed it at Violet with a weird sort of fury painted on his face. Harry had reached for his wand and stepped in front of Violet before he'd thought what he was doing.

"Harry!" Violet said warningly.
"Go on, then, Potter," Malfoy said quietly. "Moody's not here to look after you now - do it, if you've got the guts. "

For a split second, the two boys looked into each other's eyes, and then at exactly the same time, both acted.

"Funnunculus!" Harry yelled.
"Funnunculus!" screamed Draco.
Jets of light shot from both wands hit each other in midair and ricocheted off at angles - Harry's hit Goyle in the face, and Draco's hit Violet.