Y4: Preview

TW: swearing, possible triggering topics

"Violet, there's something I've been meaning to ask you,"

As they entered March the weather became drier, but cruel winds ruined their hair and ruffled their outfits. Draco, Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle were standing in a huddle outside the Potions classroom door.

Harry saw that Pansy had a magazine in her hands - Witch Weekly. The moving picture on the front showed a curly-haired witch who was smiling toothily and pointing at a large sponge cake with her wand.

"You might find something to interest you in there, Vi!" Pansy said loudly, and she threw the magazine at Violet, who caught it, looking annoyed. At that moment, the dungeon door opened, and Snape beckoned them all inside.

The quartet headed for a table at the back of the dungeon as usual. Once Snape had turned his back on them to write up the ingredients of today's potion on the blackboard, Violet flipped through the magazine under the desk.

At last, in the center pages, she found what they were looking for. Harry, Hermione, and Ron leaned in closer. A colour photograph of Harry headed a short piece entitled:

'Harry Potter's Secret Heartache
A boy like no other, perhaps - yet a boy suffering all the usual pangs of adolescence, writes Rita Skeeter. Deprived of love since the tragic demise of his parents, fourteen-year-old Harry Potter thought he had found solace in his steady girlfriend at Hogwarts, Pureblood Violet Lestrange. Little did Harry Potter know that he would shortly be suffering yet another emotional blow in a life already littered with personal loss. Miss Lestrange, a fiercely ambitious girl, seems to have a taste for famous wizards that Harry alone cannot satisfy. Miss Lestrange has been toying with Draco Malfoy, Fred Weasley, Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter's affections. "She's really stuck up," says Pansy Parkinson, a pretty and vivacious fourth-year student, "her mom is Bellatrix Lestrange, be careful of that cunt."
In the meantime, Harry Potter's well-wishers must hope that next time, he bestows his heart on a worthier candidate.'

"What the actual hell? Draco's my cousin." Violet laughed.
Harry smiled at her small action, "Violet, she called you a cunt."
"Thats fine, were friends," said Violet.

Hermione stopped looking astonished and snorted with laughter.
"If that's the best Rita can do, she's losing her touch," said Hermione as she snatched Witch Weekly from Violet and threw it onto the empty chair beside her. "What a pile of old rubbish."

Violet looked over at the Slytherins, who were all watching their desk from across the room to see if they had been upset by the article. Violet gave them a sweet smile and a wave, and she, Harry, Hermione, and Ron started unpacking the ingredients they would need for their Wit-Sharpening Potion.

Snape had glided over to their desk. The whole class was now looking around at them; Draco took the opportunity to flash POTTER STINKS across the dungeon at Harry.

"Ah...reading magazines under the table?" Snape added, snatching up the copy of Witch Weekly. "A further ten points from Gryffindor...oh but of course..." Snape said, "Potter has to keep up with his press cuttings...."

"That was my magazine, actually," Violet told him.
"You know better than that, Lestrange," said Snape, returning to his teaching post.

It was more than obvious Snape preferred Violet over her other Gryffindor friends. The grumpy man definitely wanted her to be in Slytherin, as did she.

⚯🔮📖⚡

The start of the summer term would normally have meant that Harry was training hard for the last Quidditch match of the season.

This year, however, it was the third and final task in the Triwizard Tournament for which he needed to prepare.

Finally, in the last week of May, Professor McGonagall held him back in Transfiguration.

"You are to go down to the Quidditch field tonight at nine o'clock. Potter," McGonagall told him, "Mr. Bagman will be there to tell the champions about the third task."

At half past eight that night. Harry left Ron, Violet and Hermione in Gryffindor Tower and went downstairs. As he crossed the entrance hall, Cedric came up from the Hufflepuff common room.

"What d'you reckon it's going to be?" he asked Harry as they went together down the stone steps, "Fleur keeps going on about underground tunnels; she reckons we've got to find treasure."
"That wouldn't be too bad," said Harry, thinking that he would simply ask Hagrid for a niffler to do the job for him.

They walked down the dark lawn to the Quidditch stadium, turned through a gap in the stands, and walked out onto the field.
"What've they done to it?" Cedric said indignantly, stopping dead.
The Quidditch field was no longer smooth and flat. Instead, there were tall bushes everywhere.
"They're hedges!" said Harry, bending to examine the nearest one.

"Hello there!" called a cheery voice.
Ludo Bagman was standing in the middle of the field with Krum and Fleur. Harry and Cedric made their way toward them.

"Well, what d'you think?" asked Bagman happily. "Growing nicely, aren't they? Give them a month and Hagrid'll have them twenty feet high. Don't worry," he added, grinning, spotting the less-than-happy expressions on Harry's and Cedric's faces, "you'll have your Quidditch field back to normal once the task is over! Now, I imagine you can guess what we're making here?"
"Maze," grunted Krum.

"That's right!" said Bagman. "A maze. The third task is really very straightforward. The Triwizard Cup will be placed in the center of the maze. The first champion to touch it will receive full marks. There will be obstacles, of course." said Bagman happily, "Hagrid is providing a number of creatures...then there will be spells that must be broken...all that sort of thing, you know. Now, the champions who are leading on points will get a head start into the maze." Bagman grinned at Harry and Cedric, "Then Mr. Krum will enter...then Miss Delacour. But you'll all be in with a fighting chance, depending on how well you get past the obstacles. Should be fun, eh?"

⚯🔮📖⚡

Harry had gotten back to the Gryffindor common room. It seemed as though Ron and Hermione had gone to bed. It was fairly late. Violet sat on one of the red couches in her pyjamas with a blanket covering her. She had been waiting for Harry.

The only sound was the fire crackling and Violet's calm breathing. Harry stood for a minute, just listening to her breathing. She sounded so peaceful. He smiled at the sight. Violet rubbed her eyes and looked behind her.

"Harry!" she gasped.
She threw her blanket to the side and ran over to engulf Harry in a hug.
"Missed me, did you?" Harry chuckled.
"Shut up," Violet said, breaking the hug and dragging Harry over to the couch.
They sat down. Harry picked the blanket up and off the floor. He wrapped it around himself and Violet. She yawned and leaned onto Harry's shoulder. They sat for a while, just staring at the flames.

A/N:
Hellooo, hope everyone's doing well! Shorter chapter than usual but I'm currently working on a longer one. Thanks to the 152 actives ;)

REWRITE 01/11/2023: were at 174 actives but yayyy! Today, Pointless would've hit 10k reads if I wasn't so damn stupid lmao. Dk if you remember but as I was editing this book, I was deleting chapters and didn't realize it would delete the amount of reads this book had. It was at 9.4k and then went down to 7.4k after I deleted those chapters, it hit 8.1k today so it would've been 10k :) THANK YOUU EVERYONE SMM

-destany <3