Y3: Ditched

"Yes, my dear, I did indeed know that Miss Granger would be leaving us. One hopes, however, that one might have mistaken the Signs...The Inner Eye can be a burden, you know..."

Finally, it was lunchtime but Hermione and Violet weren't there.
"You don't think Malfoy did something to them?" Harry asked anxiously as they hurried upstairs toward Gryffindor Tower.
They passed the security trolls, gave the Fat Lady the password, and scrambled through the portrait hole into the common room.

Hermione was sitting at a table, asleep, her head resting on an open Arithmancy book. They went to sit down on either side of her. Harry prodded her awake.
"What?" said Hermione, waking with a start and staring wildly around. "Is it time to go? Which lesson have we got now?"
"Divination, but it's not for another twenty minutes," said Harry. "Hermione, why didn't you come to Charms?"
"What? Oh no!" Hermione squeaked. "I forgot to go to Charms!"

"But how could you forget?" said Harry. "You were with us till we were right outside the classroom!"
"I don't believe it!" Hermione wailed. "Was Professor Flitwick angry? Oh, it was Malfoy, I was thinking about him and I lost track of things!"
"You know what, Hermione?" said Ron, looking down at the enormous Arithmancy book Hermione had been using as a pillow. "I reckon you're cracking up. You're trying to do too much."
"No, I'm not!" said Hermione, brushing her hair out of her eyes and staring hopelessly around for her bag. "I just made a mistake, that's all! I'd better go and see Professor Flitwick and say sorry ... I'll see you in Divination!"

"Wait, Hermione!" Harry said.
"Hm?" said Hermione.
"Have you seen Violet?"
"No. Why?" Hermione said with a puzzled expression.

⚯🔮📖⚡

"I can't believe I missed Cheering Charms! And I bet they come up in our exams; Professor Flitwick hinted they might!"
Together they climbed the ladder into Professor Trelawney's room. room. Glowing on every little table was a crystal ball full of pearly white mist. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat down together.
"I thought we weren't starting crystal balls until next term," Ron muttered, casting a wary eye around for Professor Trelawney, in case she was lurking nearby.
"Don't complain, this means we've finished palmistry," Harry muttered back. "I was getting sick of her flinching every time she looked at my hands."

"Hey, there's Violet!" Ron said, pointing at Violet, who was sitting beside Pansy Parkinson.

"Why does she keep ditching us for the Slytherins?" Harry asked.
"She's related to most of them, isn't she?" Ron asked.
"Most of the pure blood families are related, yes," Hermione answered, "You can't expect her to hang out with us all the time, Harry. She has other friends. Who do you think she was with the last three years?"
"Dunno. Her books?" Ron said, earning a scoff from Hermione.

"Good day to you! I have decided to introduce the crystal ball a little earlier than I had planned," said Professor Trelawney, "The fates have informed me that your examination in June will concern the Orb, and I am anxious to give you sufficient practice."
"Well, honestly...' the fates have informed her'. Who sets the exam? She does! What an amazing prediction!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Would anyone like me to help them interpret the shadowy portents within their Orb?" Professor Trelawney asked.
"I don't need help," Ron whispered. "It's obvious what this means. There's going to be loads of fog tonight."
Both Harry and Hermione burst out laughing, earning a glare from Violet who sat at the table next to them with Pansy.

A/N
Hey, Potterheads! I'm only making it 1000-1999 words, but I think it's fair for updating every day (I might put a few chapters together once the book is finished).

EDIT: rewritten: January 30th, 2023

REWRITE: 02/10/2023

REWRITE 16/02/2024:
yeah so um this chapter is 600 words, sorryyy