Y4: One Boring Hat

"I could eat a hippogriff."

There was a definite end-of-the-holiday gloom in the air when Violet awoke the next morning. Heavy rain was still splattering against the window as she got dressed in light blue ripped jeans and a grey hoodie; they would change into their school robes on the Hogwarts Express.
"Wake up, dear!" Narcissa called from the bottom floor.
"Coming, Aunt Cissa!"

As she made her way down the stairs she saw the rest of her family was eating breakfast. Lucius had his usual black robes, Draco wore a black suit while Narcissa had her usual black dress on.
"Excited for your fourth year of Hogwarts?," Narcissa asked from the Kitchen.
"Nope," Violet said, sitting down at the table.
Narcissa made pancakes and put them in front of Violet.
"Why not?" Narcissa asked.
"I don't like school,"
"Then you'll fail in life and have no job. You'll be living on the streets with the mudbloods and muggles," Lucius said.
"Whatever."

⚯🔮📖⚡

Violet was used to getting onto platform nine and three-quarters by now. It was a simple matter of walking straight through the apparently solid barrier dividing platforms nine and ten. The only tricky part was doing this in an unobtrusive way, so as to avoid attracting Muggle attention. Draco went first, then Violet right after. The Hogwarts Express, a gleaming scarlet steam engine, was already there, clouds of steam billowing from it, through which the many Hogwarts students and parents on the platform appeared like dark ghosts.
"Cya, Vi," said Draco.
The two cousins found separate compartments, Draco with Pansy and Violet by herself like always.

⚯🔮📖⚡

Harry, Ron, and Hermione slid into Violet's compartment and sat down. Hermione sat opposite Violet with Ron next to her and Harry sat right beside Violet.

The thick rain splattering the windows made it very difficult to see out of them. Ron undid his trunk, pulled out his maroon dress robes, and flung them over Pigwidgeon's cage to muffle his hooting.

"Bagman wanted to tell us what's happening at Hogwarts," he said grumpily, sitting down next to Hermione. "At the World Cup, remember? But my own mother won't say. Wonder what-"
"Shh!" Hermione whispered suddenly, pressing her finger to her lips and pointing toward the compartment next to theirs.

"...Father actually considered sending me to Durmstrang rather than Hogwarts, you know. He knows the headmaster, you see. Well, you know his opinion of Dumbledore - the man's such a Mudblood-lover - and Durmstrang doesn't admit that sort of riffraff. But Mother didn't like the idea of me going to school so far away. Father says Durmstrang takes a far more sensible line than Hogwarts about the Dark Arts. Durmstrang students actually learn them, not just the defence rubbish we do...."
Hermione got up, tiptoed to the compartment door, and slid it shut, blocking out Malfoy's voice.

"So he thinks Durmstrang would have suited him, does he?" she said angrily. "I wish he had gone, then we wouldn't have to put up with him."
"Durmstrang's another wizarding school?" said Harry.
"Yes," said Hermione stiffly, "and it's got a horrible reputation. According to An Appraisal of Magical Education in Europe, it puts a lot of emphasis on the Dark Arts."
"I think I've heard of it," said Ron, "Where is it? What country?"
"Well, nobody knows, do they?" said Hermione, raising her eyebrows.
"Er - why not?" asked Harry.

"There's traditionally been a lot of rivalry between all the magic schools. Durmstrang and Beauxbatons like to conceal their whereabouts so nobody can steal their secrets," said Hermione matter-of-factly.

"Come off it," said Ron, starting to laugh. "Durmstrang's got to be about the same size as Hogwarts - how are you going to hide a great big castle?"
"But Hogwarts is hidden," said Hermione, "Everyone knows that...well, everyone who's read Hogwarts, A History, anyway."
"Just you and Violet, then," said Ron. "So go on - how d'you hide a place like Hogwarts?"
"It's bewitched," said Hermione, "If a Muggle looks at it, all they see is an old ruin with a sign over the entrance saying DANGER, DO NOT ENTER, UNSAFE."