Y5: Hellebore

Violet woke up the next morning feeling extremely tired. She didn't quite know why though. She didn't go to bed late or anything, actually, she went to bed earlier than she usually did.

She would've been late for her first day back if it wasn't for Hermione.
"Violet. Wake up before I attack you with the pillow," Hermione threatened.
"Yeah, yeah," Violet groaned, rolling over to lay on her back.

"I'm serious. You need to get up. You're going to make the both of us miss breakfast!" Hermione said, crossing her arms.

"Don't wait for me then," said Violet.
"I'm your best friend, it's kind of my job," said Hermione.
"Fine," huffed Violet.

Violet put her arms up in the air, signalling for Hermione to pull her up. Hermione sighed and grabbed Violet's hands, pulling her up to her feet.

"Thanks, Mione," Violet said groggily.
"Your not drunk, are you?" Hermione asked.

Violet gave Hermione an 'are-you-serious' look. Hermione put her hands up in defence and started to make Violet's bed.

"Y'know, I still don't see the point of that," Violet said, referring to Hermione making the bed.
"The point of what? Tidying up?" Hermione chuckled.

"Making the bed," said Violet, "I'll just mess it up again later."
"Well, until later, it can look like you care about being clean," said Hermione.
"Whatever," Violet said tiredly, playfully rolling her eyes.

Violet got ready and listened to Hermione converse with herself about SPEW for the next 15 minutes.

"Let's head downstairs," Violet said once she had finished getting ready.
Hermione nodded and led the way to the great hall.

The two girls made their way over to Ron and Harry who were sitting at the end of the Gryffindor table.

"Hey. What'd I miss?" Violet said, taking a seat across from the boys.
Before Harry and Ron could answer, Angelina had marched up to the group.

"Listen, I've been made Gryffindor Quidditch Captain," Angelina said.
"Brilliant!" said Harry, grinning at her.
"Congrats, Ange!" Violet said, trying her hardest not to fall asleep.

"Yeah, well, we need a new Keeper now that Oliver's left. Tryouts are on Friday at five o'clock and I want the whole team there, all right? Including you, Vi," Angelina said, giving the sleepy Violet a stern look.

"Ok," said Harry.
"Got it," Violet said, throwing up a lazy thumbs up.
Angelina smiled at them and departed.

⚯🔮📖⚡

History of Magic was the most boring class ever. Today, they suffered an hour and a half droning on the subject of giant wars. Violet had fallen asleep already. Harry couldn't blame her.

Harry and Ron spent the remaining hour and twenty minutes playing hangman on a corner of Harry's parchment, while Hermione shot them filthy looks out of the corner of her eye.

As they left the classroom for break, Hermione asked, "What if I refused to lend you three my notes this year?"
"We'd fail our OWL," said Ron.
"Uh, speak for yourself, Ronald," Violet said.

They joined the queue lining up outside Snape's classroom door. The door creaked open and students filed into the classroom.

The quartet headed to their usual table near the back. Violet was sat between Harry and Hermione.

"Settle down," said Snape, shutting the door behind him.
The moment the class had heard the door close, quiet had fallen and all fidgeting stopped. Snape's presence was usually enough to make a class silent.

"Before we begin today's lesson, I think it appropriate to remind you that next June you will be sitting an important examination, during which you will prove how much you have learned about the composition and use of magical potions. I expect you to scrape an "Acceptable" in your OWL, or suffer my ... displeasure," Snape said.

"Today we will be mixing a potion that often comes up at Ordinary Wizarding Level: the Draught of Peace, a potion to calm anxiety and soothe agitation, " Snape said.

"Yeah, I'll take some of that," Violet said quietly to Harry, causing him to let out a light chuckle.

"Be warned: if you are too heavy-handed with the ingredients you will put the drinker into a heavy and sometimes irreversible sleep, so you will need to pay close attention to what you are doing on the blackboard. You will find everything you need in the store cupboard. You have an hour and a half," Snape said.

⚯🔮📖⚡

"A light silver vapour should now be rising from your potion," called Snape, with ten minutes left to go.

Violet's cauldron had white steam rising out of it. Harry's was emitting a dark grey liquid. Ron's was spitting green sparks. The surface of Hermione's potion was a shimmering mist of silver vapour.

Snape started walking around and critiquing their potions. He looked down at Violet's potion and scoffed.

Snape stopped at Harry's cauldron and looked down at it with a smirk on his face.
"Potter, what is this supposed to be?" Snape asked.

The Slytherins at the front of the class all looked up eagerly, they loved hearing Snape taunt Harry.

"The Draught of Peace," said Harry tensely.
"Tell me, Potter," said Snape softly, "can you read?"
"Yes, I can," said Harry.

"Read the third line of the instructions for me, Potter."
"Add powdered moonstone, stir three times counter-clockwise, allow to simmer for seven minutes then add two drops of syrup of hellebore."

"Did you do everything on the third line, Potter?"
"No," said Harry very quietly.

"I beg your pardon?"
"No," said Harry, more loudly. "I forgot the hellebore."

"I know you did, Potter, which means that this mess is utterly worthless. Evanesce."

The contents of Harry's potion vanished.

"Those of you who have managed to read the instructions, fill one flagon with a sample of your potion, label it clearly with your name and bring it up to my desk for testing," said Snape. "Homework: twelve inches of parchment on the properties of moonstone and its uses in potion-making, to be handed in on Thursday."

Violet groaned. Hermione, for whatever reason, looked excited.

A/N: 05/05/23
Wow, look at me posting regularly. The last half is unedited, sorryyyy. Word count: 1032

- Destany <3