Y5: The New DADA Professor

It was the first Defence Against the Dark Arts class with the new professor. Violet already hated her judging from her choice of fashion and her ridiculous speech.

When Violet walked in with Harry, Hermione and Ron, they found Professor Umbridge already seated at the teacher's desk. She was wearing an ugly pink cardigan and a giant black bow on top of her head.

"Well, good afternoon!" she said when the whole class sat down.
A few people mumbled back 'Good afternoon'.

"I love your outfit," Violet told her in the most sarcastic tone she could muster up.

"Why, thank you, dear. Wands away and quills out, please," Professor Umbridge said.

Violet sighed in disappointment and pulled out her quill, ink and parchment. Professor Umbridge opened her handbag, extracted her own wand, which was an unusually short one, and tapped the blackboard sharply with it; words appeared on the board at once:

Defence Against the Dark Arts

A Return to Basic Principles

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted, hasn't it? The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your OWL year," stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her.

"I should like you to turn to page five of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard and read "Chapter One, Basics for Beginners". There will be no need to talk."

Professor Umbridge left the blackboard and sat in the chair behind the teacher's desk. Violet found it quite amusing that Professor Umbridge wanted them to read the same book they read in the second year. She flipped open her book and started to read.

Several silent minutes passed. Next to her, Harry was reading his book and fidgeting with his quill. Across from her, Ron was staring at the same spot on the page, clearly zoned out. Next to Ron was Hermione. She had not even opened her copy of Defensive Magical Theory. She was staring fixedly at Professor Umbridge with her hand in the air.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" Professor Umbridge asked Hermione.
"Not about the chapter, no," said Hermione.

"Well, we're reading just now," said Professor Umbridge, giving Hermione a small forced smile, "If you have other questions we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a question about your course aims," said Hermione.
"And your name is?" Professor Umbridge asked, raising her eyebrows.
"Hermione Granger," said Hermione.

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully," said Professor Umbridge in a voice of determined sweetness.

"Well, I don't. There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells."

There was a short silence in which many class members turned their heads to look at the three-course aims still written on the blackboard. Violet then noticed the same thing as Hermione did.

"Using defensive spells?" said Professor Umbridge, "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger."

"I hate to break it to you, but this class is literally called "Defence Against the Dark Arts". That's sort of the point, Professor," Violet said, earning a scowl from her new teacher.

"Miss Black, You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?" Professor Umbridge asked.

"Miss Lestrange," Violet corrected, mimicking Professor Umbridge's "sweet" voice.
A few students let out quiet laughs and giggles.