Y4: In A Mood

TW: Minor swears

"You seem to be drowning twice,"

The Gryffindor fourth-years were looking forward to Moody's first lesson so much that they arrived early on Thursday lunchtime and lined up outside his classroom before the bell had even rung. The only person missing was Hermione, who turned up just in time for the lesson.

"Been in the -"
"Library." Harry finished her sentence for her. "C'mon, quick, or we won't get decent seats."

They hurried into four chairs right in front of the teacher's desk and took out their copies of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection and waited.

Soon Moody entered the room. "You can put those away," he growled, "those books. You won't need them."

"Right then," he said, "I've had a letter from Professor Lupin about this class. Seems you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling Dark creatures. You've covered boggarts, Red Caps, hinkypunks, grindylows, Kappas, and werewolves, is that right?"

A few students muttered different variations of "yes" so Moody continued on.

"So...do any of you know which curses are most heavily punished by wizarding law?" Moody asked the class.
Several hands rose into the air, including Ron's and Hermione's. Moody pointed at Ron.

"My dad told me about one...Is it called the Imperius Curse, or something?" Ron asked.
"Ah, yes," nodded Moody appreciatively, "Your father would know all about that one. Gave the Ministry a lot of trouble at one time."

Moody opened his desk drawer and took out a glass jar. Three large black spiders were inside it. The sight made Ron visibly flinch.

Moody reached into the jar, caught one of the spiders, and held it in the palm of his hand so that they could all see it. He then pointed his wand at it and shouted, "Imperio!"

Moody jerked his wand, and the spider rose onto two of its hind legs and went into what was unmistakably a tap dance.

"I could make it jump out of the window, drown itself, throw itself down one of your throats... Years back, there were a lot of witches and wizards being controlled by the Imperius Curse. The Imperius Curse can be fought, and I'll be teaching you how, but it takes real strength of character, and not everyone's got it. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" Moody barked making everyone jumped as he picked up the spider and threw it back into the jar.

"Anyone else knows one? Another illegal curse?"
Hermione's hand flew into the air again and so did Violet's.
"Yes?" said Moody, looking at Violet.
"The Cruciatus Curse," said Violet.
"Very good," Moody nodded, "Miss...?"
"Lestrange," Violet told him.
"I've met your mother. Curious woman, she is," Moody responded.
"For that, I can only feel sorry for you," said Violet.

Moody ignored Violet's comment and continued with the lesson, reaching into the jar for the next spider. He placed it on the desk, where it remained still.

"The Cruciatus Curse," said Moody, "Needs to be a bit bigger for you to get the idea," he said, pointing his wand at the spider, "Engorgio!"
The spider swelled up and was now larger than a tarantula. Ron's eyes widened as he pushed his chair backwards, so he could get as far away from Moody's desk as possible.
Moody raised his wand again, pointed it at the spider, and yelled out, "Crucio!"

The spider rolled over and began to twitch, rocking from side to side. No sound came from it, but if it could have given a voice, it would have been screaming. Moody did not remove his wand, and the spider started to jerk more violently.