Y4: The Fourth Champion

TW: minor swears

"Dear old Hogwarts,"

When all the students had entered the Hall and settled down at their House tables, the staff entered, filing up to the top table and taking their seats.

"The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast. I now invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home!" Dumbledore announced.

The plates in front of them were then filled with food as usual. The house elves in the kitchen seemed to have pulled out all the stops; there was a greater variety than usual, including several dishes that were definitely foreign.

"What's that?" asked Ron, pointing at a large dish of some sort of stew.
"Bouillabaisse," said Hermione.
"Bless you," said Ron.
"It's French," said Violet, laughing.

"I had it on holiday, the summer before last. It's very nice," Hermione explained.
"I'll take your word for it," said Ron.

At that moment, a voice said, "Excuse me, are you wanting ze bouillabaisse?"
It was a girl from Beauxbatons. Ron went purple. He stared up at her and opened his mouth to reply, but nothing came.

"No, here you go," said Violet, pushing the dish toward the girl.
"You 'ave finished wiz it?"
"Yeah," Ron said breathlessly. "Yeah, it was excellent."

The girl picked up the dish and carried it carefully off to the Ravenclaw table. Ron was still gawking at the girl.

"She's a veela!" Ron said.
"Of course she isn't!" said Hermione tartly. "I don't see anyone else gaping at her like an idiot!"

"I'm telling you, that's not a normal girl!" said Ron, leaning sideways so he could keep a clear view of her. "They don't make them like that at Hogwarts!"
"They make them okay at Hogwarts," said Harry without thinking, glancing at Violet.

Once the plates had been wiped clean, Dumbledore stood up again.
"The moment has come," said Dumbledore, "The Triwizard Tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket-"

"The what?" Harry muttered.
Violet snorted, trying not to laugh.

"-just to clarify the procedure that we will be following this year. But first, let me introduce Mr Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, Mr Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports. Mr Bagman and Mr Crouch have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the Triwizard Tournament, and they will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime on the panel that will judge the champions' efforts."

Filch now approached Dumbledore carrying a great wooden chest encrusted with jewels. It looked extremely old and... used.

"As you know, three champions compete in the tournament, one from each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire."

Dumbledore reached inside the casket and pulled out a large, wooden goblet. It was full to the brim with dancing blue flames. Dumbledore closed the casket and placed the goblet carefully on top of it, where it would be clearly visible to everyone in the Hall.

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet," said Dumbledore. "Tomorrow night, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. To ensure that no underage student yields to temptation," said Dumbledore, "I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire. Nobody under the age of seventeen will be able to cross this line. Now, I think it is time for bed. Good night to you all."