Y4: First Task

TW: Dragons, possible triggering topics, swears

"Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?"

As Violet and Hermione were finishing up their Herbology project, Harry came running in.
"Hermione, Violet," Harry whispered, "I need you guys to help me."
"What d'you think I've been trying to do, Harry?" Hermione whispered back.
"I need to learn how to do a Summoning Charm properly by tomorrow afternoon."
"Great," Violet said sarcastically, beginning to pack up her stuff.

They skipped out on lunch and headed for a free classroom. Harry tried with all his might to make various objects fly across the room toward him. The books and quills kept stopping halfway across the room and dropping to the floor.

"Concentrate, Harry, concentrate...." Hermione kept repeating.
"What d'you think I'm trying to do?" said Harry angrily. "A great big dragon keeps popping up in my head for some reason."
"Try again," Violet suggested.

Harry wanted to skip Divination to keep practicing, but Hermione refused to miss out and Arithmancy. Violet, however, decided to stay with him.

It was around midnight when Harry was finally getting the hang of it.
"That's way better, Harry," complimented Violet, looking exhausted.
"Just as long as it works tomorrow," Harry said. "The Firebolt's going to be much farther away than the stuff in here, it's going to be in the castle, and I'm going to be out there on the grounds..."

⚯🔮📖⚡

The next day, lessons were stopped after lunch. It gave all the students time to get down to the dragons' enclosure.

Fleur, Krum and Cedric had already gotten past their dragons and received a golden egg. Fleur put a spell on her dragon, forcing it to fall asleep. It wasn't very entertaining to watch considering she got the egg so quickly. Krum used the Conjunctivitis Curse to blind his dragon so he could sneak past and grab the egg. Cedric transfigured a rock into a big black dog to distract the dragon whilst he retrieved the egg.

But now, it was Harry's turn to face off against his dragon. Harry raised his wand the second he got onto the field, "Accio Firebolt!"
He had performed the spell perfectly! His Firebolt zoomed through the air and stopped dead in midair beside him. Violet and Hermione shared a proud look and a high five before Harry mounted his broom and kicked off the ground.

Harry soared high in a circle, the Horntail was following him with its eyes. Harry plummeted downwards as the Horntail opened its mouth. He had luckily missed the flames that came out of its mouth, but the tail came whipping up to meet him and one of the spikes grazed his shoulder, ripping his robes. Harry then dived. Before the dragon knew what happened, Harry had taken his hands off his Firebolt and seized the golden egg.

Harry came in smoothly to land. He had gotten through the first task.
"That was excellent, Potter!" cried Professor McGonagall as he got off the Firebolt, "You'll need to see Madam Pomfrey before the judges give out your score."
Harry walked out of the dragon enclosure, still panting, and saw Madam Pomfrey standing at the mouth of a second tent, looking worried.

Madam Pomfrey examined Harry's shoulder, "Last year dementors, this year dragons, what are they going to bring into this school next?! You're very lucky, this is quite shallow. It'll need cleaning before I heal it up, though."

She cleaned the cut with a dab of some purple liquid, but then poked his shoulder with her wand, and it healed instantly.
"Now, just sit quietly for a minute and then you can go and get your score," she said, bustling out of the tent.

Suddenly three people had come darting inside. Violet, Hermione and Ron.
"Oh thank godric- you're okay! You did amazing, by the way," Violet said.
Harry looked at Violet's thankful expression. Her hair was slightly messy from the wind but Harry still thought she looked wonderful.