Y3: Ketchup

"And he's been off-colour for ages, he was wasting away. It was probably better for him to snuff it quickly- one swallow- he probably didn't feel a thing."

Classes started again the next day. The first Divination lesson of the new term was much less fun; Professor Trelawney was now teaching them palmistry, and she lost no time in informing Violet and Harry that they'd had the worst luck she had ever seen.

"I got it back," said Harry, grinning at her and holding up the Firebolt.
"Wha- oh uh, good for you!" said Violet who sat on the couch of the Gryffindor common room beside Hermione.
"Er- thanks!" said Harry.

"See, Hermione? There wasn't anything wrong with it!" said Ron.
"Well- there might have been!" said Hermione. "I mean, at least you know now that it's safe!"
"Yeah, I suppose so," said Harry. "I'd better put it upstairs."
"I'll take it!" said Ron eagerly. "I've got to give Scabbers his rat tonic."
He took the Firebolt and, holding it as if it were made of glass and carried it away up the boys' staircase.

"Can I sit down, then?" Harry asked Hermione, knowing Violet didn't mind.
"I suppose so," said Hermione.
At that precise moment, a strangled yell echoed down the boys' staircase. The whole common room fell silent, staring, petrified, at the entrance. Then came hurried footsteps, then Ron came into view, dragging a bedsheet behind him.

"LOOK!" Ron bellowed, striding over to their table. "LOOK!" he yelled, shaking the sheets in his friends' faces.
"Ron, what-" Harry started.
"SCABBERS! LOOK! SCABBERS!" Ron wailed.
Hermione was leaning away from Ron, looking utterly bewildered. Violet and Harry looked down at the sheet Ron was holding. There was something red on it. Something that looked horribly like-
"BLOOD!" Ron yelled into the stunned silence.
"Sure it's not ketchup?" Violet asked.

"HE'S GONE! AND YOU KNOW WHAT WAS ON THE FLOOR?" Ron said.
Ron placed something down onto Hermione's lap. Hermione, Violet and Harry leaned forward. It was long ginger cat hairs. Crookshanks'.

It looked like the end of Ron and Hermione's friendship. Ron was enraged that Hermione had never taken Crookshanks' attempts to eat Scabbers seriously. Hermione maintained her opinion that Ron had no proof that Crookshanks had eaten Scabbers.

Ron had taken the loss of his rat very hard.
"Come on, Ron, you were always saying how boring Scabbers was," said Fred, "And he's been off-colour for ages, he was wasting away. It was probably better for him to snuff it quickly- one swallow- he probably didn't feel a thing."
"Fred!" Ginny scolded .

"All he did was eat and sleep, Ron, you said it yourself," said George.
"He bit Goyle for us once!" Ron said miserably. "Remember, Harry?"
"Yeah, that's true," Harry confirmed.
"His finest hour," said Fred, unable to keep a straight face, "Let the scar on Goyle's finger stand as a lasting tribute to his memory. Oh, come on, Ron, get yourself down to Hogsmeade and buy a new rat, what's the point of all your moaning and groaning?"

In a last-ditch attempt to cheer Ron up, Harry persuaded him to come along to the Gryffindor team's final practice before the Ravenclaw match, so that he could have a ride on the Firebolt after they'd finished. This did seem to take Ron's mind off Scabbers for a moment so they set off for the Quidditch field together.

Hermione and Ron left the field to sit in the stadium, and the Gryffindor team gathered around Wood for his final instructions for tomorrow's match.
"Harry, I've just found out who Ravenclaw is playing as Seeker. It's Cho Chang. She's a fourth year, and she's pretty good...I really hoped she wouldn't be fit, she's had some problems with injuries..." Wood scowled his displeasure that Cho Chang had made a full recovery, then said, "On the other hand, she rides a Comet Two Sixty, which is going to look like a joke next to the Firebolt." He gave Harry's broom a look of admiration, "Okay, everyone, let's go!"

It was the best practice ever. Wood didn't have a single criticism to make, which, as George pointed out, was a first. Violet still wondered why Harry was being fangirled over when she had her Firebolt for a year and never got a single compliment.

"I can't see what's going to stop us tomorrow!" said Wood. "Harry, you've sorted out your Dementor problem, haven't you?"
"Yeah," said Harry.
"The Dementors won't turn up again, Oliver. Dumbledore'd go ballistic," said Fred confidently.
"Well, let's hope not," said Wood. "Good work, everyone. Let's get back to the tower...turn in early..."

A/N:
Heyyyy. Back to updating daily to revive my account. I made a face claim for Violet, it's Lucy Hale!

REWRITE 02/10/23: Aww I remember when I first decided Lucy was Violet. I couldn't imagine Violet as anyone else.

-destany <3