Y3: The Passage

"My head hurts!"

The passage twisted and turned. They hurried along with it, Violet stumbling now and then on the uneven floor. Harry held his glowing wand out in front of him. After what felt like an hour, the passage began to rise. Panting, Harry sped up, just wanting to reach the end of the passage already.

"Harry!" Violet yelled after him.
Violet wasn't as fast as a runner as Harry was, she had a hard time catching up to him.

Ten minutes later, they came to the foot of some worn stone steps, which rose out of sight above them. Careful not to make any noise, Harry began to climb with Violet closely behind him.

A hundred steps, two hundred steps, he lost count as he climbed, watching his feet...then, without warning, his head hit something hard. Violet was counting the 256th stair when she heard a bang.
"Ouch!" Harry yelped.
"What?" Violet asked.
"My head hurts!" he whisper-yelled.
"Well then don't bump it, dork," Violet said.

It seemed to be a trapdoor. Harry massaged the top of his head, listening. He couldn't hear any sounds above him. Very slowly, he pushed the trapdoor open and peered over the edge.
He was in a cellar, which was full of wooden crates and boxes.

Harry climbed out of the trapdoor and waited for Violet to come up, then closed it. It blended so perfectly with the dusty floor that it was impossible to tell it was there. They crept slowly toward the wooden staircase that led upstairs.

"And get another box of Jelly Slugs, dear, they've nearly cleaned us out!" said a woman's voice.
A pair of feet was coming down the staircase. Violet leapt behind an enormous crate, bringing Harry with her, and waited for the footsteps to pass.

Quickly and silently, they crept out of their hiding place and climbed the stairs. They reached the door at the top of the stairs, slipped through it, and found themselves behind the counter of Honeydukes.

Honeydukes was so crowded with Hogwarts students that no one looked twice at Harry and Violet. Looking around at all the sweets, Violet felt like she could puke.

Harry and Violet squeezed themselves through a crowd of sixth years and saw Ron and Hermione examining a tray of blood-flavoured lollipops. Harry dragged Violet with him as he attempted to sneak up behind Ron and Hermione.

"Ugh, no, Harry won't want one of those, they're for vampires, I expect," Hermione was saying.
"How about these?" said Ron, shoving a jar of Cockroach Clusters under Hermione's nose.
"Definitely not," Harry laughed out.
"Harry! Violet!" squealed Hermione. "What are you doing here? How did you-?"
"Wow!" said Ron, looking very impressed, "you've learned to Apparate!"
Violet raised an eyebrow at Ron and his excited facial expression dropped.
"'Course we haven't," said Harry.

He dropped his voice so that none of the sixth years could hear him and told them all about the Marauder's Map.
"How come Fred and George never gave it to me!" said Ron, outraged. "I'm their brother!"

"But Harry isn't going to keep it!" said Hermione, as though the idea were ludicrous. "He's going to hand it in to Professor McGonagall, aren't you, Harry?"
"No, I'm not!" said Harry.
"Your not the boss of him, Mione," Violet said cooly.
"Are you mad?" said Ron, gaping at Hermione. "Hand in something that good?"

"If I hand it in, I'll have to say where I got it! Filch would know Fred and George had nicked it!"
"But what about Sirius Black?" Hermione hissed. "He could be using one of the passages on that map to get into the castle! The teachers have got to know!"
"Hermione, can you like- not?" Violet said.
"He can't be getting in through a passage," said Harry quickly. "There are seven secret tunnels on the map, right? Fred and George reckon Filch already knows about four of them. And of the other three- uh-" Harry started.