Y3: Bye, Beaks

"Buckbeak lost, he's being executed at sunset."

Exams were nearly upon them, and instead of lazing around outside in the Summer air, the students were forced to remain inside the castle.

Even Fred and George had been spotted working; they were about to take their O.W.L.s (Ordinary Wizarding Levels). Percy was getting ready to take his N.E.W.T.s (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests), the highest qualification Hogwarts offered.

Their second to the last exam, on Thursday morning, was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Lupin had compiled the most unusual exam any of them had ever taken. It was a sort of obstacle course outside in the sun. Where they had to wade across a deep paddling pool containing a Grindylow, cross a series of potholes full of Red Caps, then climb into an old trunk and battle with a new Boggart.

"Excellent, Harry," Lupin muttered as Harry climbed out of the trunk, grinning. "Full marks."
Harry hung around to watch Violet, Ron and Hermione.

Violet did fine but looked like she hated every step of it. Ron did well until he reached the Red Caps. Hermione did everything perfectly until she reached the trunk with the Boggart in it. After about a minute inside it, she burst out again, screaming.
"Hermione!" said Lupin, startled. "What's the matter?"
"P-P-Professor McGonagall!" Hermione gasped, pointing into the trunk. "Sh-she said I'd failed everything!"

⚯🔮📖⚡

After exams finished, Ron, Hermione and Violet made their way to the Gryffindor common room and sat down.
"Hagrid sent a letter," Harry said, who just climbed through the portrait hole, "Buckbeak lost, h-he's being executed at sunset."
Hermione and Ron's hearts dropped.
"We've got to go," said Harry at once. "He can't just sit there on his own, waiting for the executioner!"

"Sunset, though," said Ron, who was staring out the window ill a glazed sort of way. "We'd never be allowed ... especially you, Harry..."
Harry sank his head into his hands, thinking.
"If we only had the Invisibility Cloak..."
Violet sighed.
"I'll get it," said Violet, who sat up with a groan, "Godric, how do you pronounce it, again?"
"Diss in dee um," Harry replied, "but-"
Violet didn't wait for the rest of his sentence; she strode across the room, pushed open the Fat Lady's portrait and vanished from sight.

⚯🔮📖⚡

Violet returned a quarter of an hour later with the cloak folded carefully under her robes. They went down to dinner with everybody else but did not return to Gryffindor Tower afterwards.

⚯🔮📖⚡

The quartet reached Hagrid's cabin and knocked.
"It's us," Harry hissed, "We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Let us in and we can take it off."
"Yeh shouldn't have come!" Hagrid whispered, but he stood back, and let them step inside.
Hagrid shut the door quickly and Harry pulled the cloak off himself and his friends.

"Where's Buckbeak, Hagrid?" asked Hermione hesitantly.
"I took him outside," said Hagrid, "He's tethered in my pumpkin patch. Thought he oughta see the trees an' smell fresh air before- Well ye know."
"Isn't there anything anyone can do, Hagrid?" Harry asked fiercely, sitting down next to him, "Dumbledore- "
"He's tried," said Hagrid.

"We'll stay with you, Hagrid," Hermione began, but Hagrid shook his head.
"Yeh're ter go back up ter the castle. I told yeh, I don' wan' yeh watchin'. An' yeh shouldn't be down here anyway...If Fudge an' Dumbledore catch yeh out without permission, yeh'll be in big trouble."

Silent tears were now streaming down Hermione's face, but she hid them from Hagrid, bustling around making tea. Then, as she picked up the milk bottle to pour some into the jug, she let out a shriek.
"Ron, I don't believe it- it's Scabbers!"
Ron gaped at her.
"What are you talking about?"
Hermione carried the milk jug over to the table and turned it upside down. Then Scabbers the rat came sliding out onto the table.
"Scabbers!" Ron exclaimed excitedly, "Scabbers, what are you doing here?"