Y3: Time-Turner

"It's a Time-Turner, Harry. Do read more,"

"And does my evidence count for nothing?" snarled Snape. "Peter Pettigrew was not in the Shrieking Shack, nor did I see any sign of him on the grounds."
"That was because you were knocked out!" scoffed Violet. "You didn't arrive in time to hear-"
"Miss Lestrange, HOLD YOUR TONGUE!"
"Like with my hand or-"
Harry elbowed Violet to shut her up, which worked.

"Now, Snape," said Fudge, startled, "the young lady is disturbed in her mind, we must make allowances- "
"Excuse you?" Violet said.
"I would like to speak to Harry and Violet alone," said Dumbledore abruptly. "Cornelius, Severus, Poppy- please leave us."
"Headmaster!" sputtered Madam Pomfrey. "They need treatment, they need rest- "
"This cannot wait," said Dumbledore. "I must insist."
Madam Pomfrey pursed her lips and strode away into her office at the end of the ward, slamming the door behind her.

"The Dementors should have arrived by now," Fudge said. "I'll go and meet them. Dumbledore, I'll see you upstairs."
He crossed to the door and held it open for Snape, but Snape hadn't moved.
"You surely don't believe a word of Black's story?" Snape whispered, his eyes fixed on Dumbledore's face.

"I wish to speak to Harry and Violet alone," Dumbledore repeated.
Snape took a step toward Dumbledore.
"Sirius Black showed he was capable of murder at the age of sixteen," he breathed. "You haven't forgotten that, Headmaster? You haven't forgotten that he once tried to kill me?"
"My memory is as good as it ever was, Severus," said Dumbledore quietly.
Snape turned on his heel and marched through the door Fudge was still holding. It closed behind them, and Dumbledore turned to Harry and Violet.

Hemione had bolted up out of bed.
"Ah, Miss Granger. You are just on time," said Dumbledore calmly.
"For what?" asked Hermione as she walked over to Harry, Violet and Dumbledore.

"There is not a shred of proof to support Black's story, except your word and the word of three thirteen-year-old wizards will not convince anybody. A street full of eyewitnesses swore they saw Sirius murder Pettigrew. I myself gave evidence to the Ministry that Sirius had been the Potters' Secret-Keeper."

"But he's innocent!" said Violet.
"Sirius has not acted like an innocent man. The attack on the Fat Lady, entering Gryffindor Tower with a knife, without Pettigrew, alive or dead, we have no chance of overturning Sirius's sentence."

"But you believe us?" asked Harry.
"Yes, I do. But I have no power to make other men see the truth, or to overrule the Minister of Magic. What we need, is more time."
"But- " Hermione began. And then her eyes became very round. "OH!"

"Now, pay attention," said Dumbledore, speaking very low, "Sirius is locked in Professor Flitwick's office on the seventh floor. If all goes well, you will be able to save more than one innocent life tonight. But remember this, both of you: you must not be seen. Miss Granger, you know the law..."
Dumbledore had turned on his heel and looked back as he reached the door.
"I am going to lock you in. It is- " he consulted his watch, "five minutes to midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

"Good luck?" Harry repeated as the door closed behind Dumbledore.
"Three turns? What's he talking about?" Violet asked.
"What are we supposed to do?" Harry asked.
But Hermione was fumbling with the neck of her robes, pulling from beneath them a very long, very fine gold chain.
"Come here," she said urgently. "Quick!"

Violet and Harry moved toward her, completely bewildered. She was holding the chain out. There was a tiny, sparkling hourglass hanging from it.
"Here- "
She had thrown the chain around their necks too.
"Ready?" she said breathlessly.
"What are we doing?" Harry said, completely lost.
"Shut up, Harry," Violet said.