Y3: Suspicious

"He crossed out the word 'love'!"

On Christmas morning, Violet was awoken by Hermione ripping Violet's blanket off her.
"Happy Christmas, Vi!" Hermione said.
Violet slowly opened her eyes and let them adjust to the light before she sat up and rubbed her eyes.
"You look horrible," Hermione said. Violet had dark circles under her eyes and her hair was a mess. Violet hadn't gotten very much sleep last night due to overthinking about her mother's situation.
"Thanks, Mione," Violet said, her voice laced with sarcasm.
Hermione gave her a 'your-forgetting-something' look.
"Happy Christmas, Mione. I'll be right back. Violet said heading towards the bathroom.

⚯🔮📖⚡

Violet had returned with her hair brushed and Violet had charmed her eyes to look less dark.
"Took you long enough," Hermione said.
Violet rolled her eyes. A grin grew on both of the girls' faces once they saw the pile of presents beside their beds. The two Gryffindors examined their gifts.

"You go first!" Violet said.
"No, you!" Hermione said.
Violet gave Hermione a scary glare.
"Alright," Hermione said, sighing.
Violet grew a grin of victory. Hermione picked out a present that was wrapped in blue wrapping paper with the words 'Happy Birthday' all over it.
"Reckon this one's from Ron," Hermione said.
Hermione tore the paper apart and threw it on the floor of the Girl's dormitory. There were 3 red quills, all with different tips and a note that read:

DEAR, Hermione
I think I heard you telling Parvati how much you wish you had these so here you go! I hope Parvati didn't get them for you...
L̶O̶V̶E̶ FROM, Ron

"He crossed out the word 'love'!" Violet said.
"Oh, merlin, Violet. He probably thought he was writing Ginny a letter," Hermione exclaimed. "Mhm, if you say so," Violet said with a cheeky grin.

"Anyways, it's your turn!" Hermione said, changing the subject.
"Maybe we should bring our presents to the common room? I bet the boys are waiting," Violet said.
"Fine, but you're not getting off so easy next time!" Hermione said.
Hermione picked up Crookshanks, who was covered in wrapping paper and all the presents she could carry. Violet did the same, minus Crookshanks.

The two third-years made their way to the common room, balancing presents. Harry and Ron sat by the fire laughing with several presents around them.
"What're you two laughing about?" Violet asked.
The girls sat down and put their presents down.
"Don't bring him in here!" said Ron.
But Hermione wasn't listening. She dropped Crookshanks onto the couch and stared, open-mouthed, at the Firebolt layed on the couch.
"Oh, Harry! Who sent you that?" she asked.

"No idea," said Harry. "There wasn't a card or anything with it."
Hermione did not appear either excited or intrigued by the news. On the contrary, her face fell, and she bit her lip.
"What's the matter with you?" said Ron.
"I don't know," said Hermione slowly, "but it's a bit odd, isn't it? I mean, this is supposed to be quite a good broom, isn't it?"
"It is, I've had the same one since the second year," Violet said.
"Guess we're twins now," Harry acknowledged, making Violet grin.

Ron sighed exasperatedly.
"It's the best broom there is, Hermione," he said.
"So it must've been really expensive..."
"Probably cost more than all the Slytherins' brooms put together," said Ron happily.
"Well...who'd send Harry something as expensive as that, and not even tell him they'd sent it?" said Hermione.
"Who cares?" said Ron impatiently. "Listen, Harry, can I have a go on it? Can I?"
"Wish you guys fangirled over my broom like that," Violet mumbled.
"I don't think anyone should ride that broom just yet!" said Hermione shrilly.
Harry, Violet and Ron looked at her.
"What d'you think Harry's going to do with it-sweep the floor?" said Ron.
"Ronald," Violet warned.

Harry picked up a shiny purple gift with a note taped atop it.
"Well, this totally isn't wrapped by Violet," Harry said knowingly.
"Definitely not," Violet grinned.
Harry chuckled and tore the note off, opening it. It read:

Dear Harry,
I saw you admiring Ginny's new telescope so-
Just open it already, Potter.
Sincerely,
𝒱𝒾𝑜𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝐿.

"Violet, you didn't! Thank you!" Harry said.
" 'Just open it already, Potter.' " Violet quoted herself.
But before Harry could unwrap the gift, Crookshanks sprang from the couch, right at Ron's chest.

"GET.HIM.OUT.OF.HERE!" Ron bellowed as Crookshanks's claws ripped his pyjamas, "You'd better take that cat out of here, Hermione."
Hermione stomped out of the room and made a 'huff' noise. Harry snorted and the remaining group burst out into laughter. Harry glanced at Ron and then stared at Violet. Harry never realized how beautiful she was, the way her hair was parted perfectly and the way her eyes sparkled-

 Harry never realized how beautiful she was, the way her hair was parted perfectly and the way her eyes sparkled-

"Sorry," Violet said as they all stopped laughing.
"For what?" Ron asked.
"I don't know, I- my laugh is weird," Violet said.
"No, it's not," Harry said firmly.
"Sureee," Violet said, rolling her eyes playfully.

⚯🔮📖⚡

Christmas spirit was definitely thin on the ground in the Gryffindor common room that morning. Hermione had shut Crookshanks in her dormitory and Ron was still fuming. Harry and Violet gave up trying to make them talk to each other and devoted themselves to examining Harry's Firebolt. For some reason this seemed to annoy Hermione as well, she kept looking at the broom as though it too had been criticizing her cat.

At lunchtime they went down to the Great Hall, to find that the House tables had been moved against the walls again and that a single table, set for thirteen, stood in the middle of the room. Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape, Filch, Sprout, and Flitwick were there. There were only three other students, two first year Gryffindors and one fifth year Slytherin.
"Merry Christmas!" said Dumbledore as Harry, Violet, Ron, and Hermione approached the table. "As there are so few of us, it seemed foolish to use the House tables...Sit down, sit down!"
Harry, Violet, Ron, and Hermione sat down side by side at the end of the table.

The doors of the Great Hall opened again. It was Professor Trelawney.
"Sibyll, this is a pleasant surprise!" said Dumbledore, standing up.
"I have been crystal gazing, Headmaster," said Professor Trelawney, "and to my astonishment, I saw myself abandoning my solitary luncheon and coming to join you. Who am I to refuse the promptings of fate? I at once hastened from my tower, and I do beg you to forgive my lateness..."
"Certainly, certainly," said Dumbledore, his eyes twinkling. "Let me draw you up a chair-"
And he did indeed draw a chair in midair with his wand. Professor Trelawney hesitated, then lowered herself into the empty chair.
"Where is Professor Lupin?" McGonagall asked.
"I'm afraid the poor fellow is ill again," said Dumbledore, indicating that everybody should start serving themselves. "Most unfortunate that it should happen on Christmas Day."

A/N
Hey, go comment rn. RIGHT NOW! Please.

EDIT: rewritten January 2023