3 - A New Husband

Lucrezia grumbled in her room that night.

"...How should I make her listen to me?"

Lucrezia was not pointing out that her sister hated her and that her manners were wrong.

But she was afraid that she would be humiliated if she did not know the actual court etiquette,

had neglected the education of ladies, and had acted upon the models of opera and romance novels.

--At least she should read aristocratic novels... No. It must be too 'educational' to like it.

It was a common story that a novel whose author is a lady was too religious to be popular.

Romance novels that people are talking about depict ordinary people with aristocrats as characters.

Rosa's favorite novels are also folksy.

It is not enough to take it seriously and it is humiliated.

The marshal was the supreme commander in charge of the army.

As the face of the country, she is required to have a two-faced accomplishment,

sometimes entertaining enemies and sometimes fighting to protect her country's honor.

When the Marshals and their wives play pompous jokes,

they invite unnecessary sparks and put the whole country in great danger.

And Falco was hopelessly bashful.

Lucrezia was singled out because the Marshal and his wife judged that Falco was unreliable when they wanted him to take over.

Rosa was at risk, not to mention foreign languages, even her own imperial language, when she could never learn too much in preparation for her future with Falco.

It was too dangerous for Falco and Rosa to stand in front of foreign dignitaries.

—No, I don't know if they can do well in our own court, let alone abroad...

I'd like to persuade my sister before she makes a fatal mistake, but it would be no easy task to get her fully poised to listen.

It may be too late to say anything now, but I could not give up now,

considering that it could develop into a war between nations.

***

[ POV - Falco ]

Falco used to go to his ex-fiancee's parents' house without delay.

Now that the Duke of Selavalle has given his consent,

nothing prevents him from seeing his Rosa. Falco's parents planned to live a carefree life from their business to their return.

"Hey, my friends Philippe and others are coming to see me next week.

Will you come too, Falco? I want you to come Falco!"

"Okay, I'll come, too."

"I did it! Falco is so handsome, so everyone seems jealous."

"I'm only interested in you."

At a private tea party inside, Rosa made fun of her sister.

"...Now, my big sister says, 'I am the only one who is authentic because I have been educated to be the Marshal's wife!' You're smiling!"

"Wow, that hurts."

"Don't you hate her too?"

"Who does she think she is?"