7 - The Timely Test

Ramilio didn't want to take off his hood.

"No... please don't do this. I'm a little guy, you see.

You may think I'm big and pathetic, but I don't want to make a young lady of your age feel uncomfortable."

--He seems uncomfortable with being watched.

"I prefer men who are willing to talk with me," she said. "I'm glad to hear that you are a good match for me."

"That's a pretty low bar to set... Don't most men fit the bill?"

"Oh, no, not at all."

She remembered how Falco and her father had never spoken to her, and she felt dejected.

Lucrezia was a talker, even though she didn't look like one. But as soon as Lucrezia tried to open her mouth, her father would scold her, saying, "Don't waste your time talking."

She was especially upset with Falco, his fiancée, for not speaking to him without permission.

"A creepy girl like you will be disinherited as soon as she realizes who you are. Answer only the questions that are asked of you, and don't talk to anyone else."

"....By the way, my dear, is this all the carriage? Will the luggage arrive later?"

"This is all the luggage I have."

When I showed him the travel bag in my hand, Ramilio asked me an additional question, perhaps misunderstanding my meaning.

"When is... going to receive more luggage?"

"Nothing will arrive, sir. This is all we have."

"Oh, ...really? That's it?"

It's not hard to see why Ramilio was surprised, Lucrezia thought.

However, Lucrezia was not pessimistic about the lack of daily necessities.

Even the dress was high on her list of things she could manage.

Lucrezia's entire fortune was packed in this small bag.

The dress and jewelry that Lucrezia had left at home were a mere blip on the radar, as the bag was filled with securities of enormous value.

Most of the jewels in her room were imitations, and the real ones were kept in the bank.

I was afraid that my father might take them away at any moment, so I used imitation frosted glass for everything except for prestigious parties where I really needed the real thing.

So Lucrezia only needed to take out the deed to protect her personal fortune. She could return home at any time and pick it up.

As for the dress, she preferred to wear only plain colors, so there was nothing that could be sold for value.

My sister, who likes to be flamboyant, wouldn't want a nun's everyday clothes or a dress with few ornaments that an old woman would wear without regard to fashion.

"It would be great if you could take me to the bank at some point."

"Oh, ...Oh, I see. Did they give you a check or something instead of a package?"

"That's what I mean."

"The city's aristocracy is very rational."

Ramiro was constantly impressed.

She had been scolded many times by her father that a nobleman's daughter should not be allowed to go into a bank.

Apparently, a bank is a place where women are not allowed to enter.

Thanks to this, Lucrezia had a hard time withdrawing money along the way, but as long as she had someone to help her, she was good to go.

Lucrezia was guided by Ramilio to the parlor after easily removing the travel mud from her boots.

He recommended a heavy leather sofa and urged her to drink a cup of fragrant tea.

Lucrezia was beginning to understand that she was apparently welcome.

As her father's chosen fiancée, she had no idea what he would do to her.

I had even feared that I would be thrown into a humble place like a stable and left alone, so I was happy to say that I was treated exceptionally well.

I naturally smiled, and my voice was filled with the deliciousness of the tea.

"Wow, thanks for the delicious..."

Ramilio warmly looked after Lucrezia, who sighed.

Even if you don't exchange many words, you can get a sense of a person's personality by looking at their face and observing their gestures.

Lucrezia liked the natural kindness of Ramilio, who wanted to wait for her to finish her tea and get comfortable.

After letting her put the tea away, Ramilio put the papers on the table.

"I'm sorry to be the first to arrive, but let's sign the contract first.

If you are satisfied with the contents of this contract, please sign and swear to it. If you have any amendments, let's hear them first."

When Lucrezia looked down at the document, wondering what kind of contract it was, she saw that it contained an unusual deal.

First, Ramilio will be kept by the Duke of Seravalle for a limited time to allow Lucrezia to recuperate.

Second, Ramilio would pay for Lucrezia's expenses during her stay at the estate.

Third, The Duke of Seravalle will pay for jewelry, dresses, and other items that are not necessary for the recuperation.

Fourth, Ramilio will do his best to give Lucrezia the best possible environment for her recuperation.

Fifth, Lucrezia must put her own health first and act accordingly.

After reading that much, Lucrezia was shocked.

"This... what is this?"

"You will stay in Pastore's territory for a while and then return in a few months.

This is a written oath for that purpose."

That's not what I said. I thought Lucrezia had come to marry Lord Ugly.

You can find no mention of marriage or engagement in the document, even if you hurriedly read it again.

"You are saying that Lord Ramilio will not marry me...?

Lucrezia turned her eyes on him, not knowing what he was thinking, and tried her best to look pleading.

Her father had said that she would never be able to escape from this marriage.

He told her not to come back to the estate either.

If Lord Ugly would not accept Lucrezia, Lucrezia would have nowhere to go.

Lucrezia hugged herself, her body almost trembling with anxiety and nervousness, and said to herself.

—No, Lucrezia. If you're this happy... people will think you're a strange girl.

Lucrezia was bored. She wanted a bigger challenge than she could handle.

—This is exactly what I've been looking for!

***