28 - Unexpected Reunion

When Lucrezia showed up for dinner, she was greeted by Ramilio.

"Hello. Are you feeling all right?"

"Yes, yes. I think the heat got to me. I'm fine now."

Ramilio murmured that he was glad and smiled softly.

The change in his expression, which had been hidden behind his glasses until now, was now clearly visible.

Perhaps that was why Lucrezia was somewhat out of sorts.

Nervously, she took her seat, but her appetite was not whetted. She reached for her glass of water.

"Tomorrow we will leave the house at dawn and go to the biggest cathedral in the country. I want you to get to bed early."

Lucrezia almost squirted out her water at the outrageous declaration.

"It's just a ceremony, for now, so you can wear your usual dress. Let's have a parade to coincide with the rush of winter events. I'll have them make you a wedding dress fancier than the queens of the great powers. We've just had some wonderful cloth and precious stones come in from the port city...."

Lucrezia listened blankly as Ramilio rambled on about his grand ideas for the wedding gown.

"It's called... It will look great on you."

Ramilio said smoothly and smiled.

Lucrezia was overwhelmed.

--Husband, I thought you were more timid and reserved...

--I have to admonish him. But...

The reason why I can't come on strong is that somewhere inside of me, I'm happy.

I even feel as if Ramilio is hitting on me hard, and it makes me nervous.

It was a little too stimulating for Lucrezia, who loves to be relied on but has been treated poorly by her fiancé and father and has not been rewarded in any way.

"It's a little difficult to invite people to the mansion for a wedding reception today or tomorrow, so we'll just make our vows in front of a lot of people at the cathedral instead. I've also had our notary make a marriage certificate, so you can sign it before you leave tomorrow morning. Also...."

Lucrezia was slightly impressed by the fluidity of the arrangement.

--Lady Ramilio, you're much better at your job than I thought you would be.

In her house, most of the troubles were arranged by Lucrezia. The recent party to celebrate her recovery was almost entirely taken care of by Lucrezia, so she had come without knowing what kind of work Ramilio does.

--I thought that I had to take care of all the troublesome things, but...

What a wonderful thing it is to have someone who can do things on their own.

It's really hard when you've taken the trouble to arrange something and it's ruined by your selfishness.
"It's like... Did you find anything you didn't understand?"

Lucrezia had already lost the will to stop.

--I hope that's okay. I'm starting to think it's not a problem. It's only a wedding. What's important is whether or not there's love involved.

I'm sure that Ramilio will take good care of me since he wants me so much.

When I thought of this, the angel's voice warning Lucrezia disappeared.

--I'm sorry, Rosa. I used to think you were a foolish child, but I can't laugh at you anymore.

Now Lucrezia also has a flower blooming in her head.

Lucrezia's sullen eyes must be shining a little brighter now.

"No, I'm not. I'm looking forward to it."

--Oh, how silly of me. But ....is fun!

I'm going to have a great time.

Right after dinner, Lucrezia went to bed.

***

The next morning, Lucrezia signed the papers that were presented to her as she was told.

The first step of the marriage was cleared.

"Come on, let's go."

She got into the carriage with a brisk Ramilio taking her hand.

It was a refreshing gesture, just the way it needed to be, but Lucrezia was so embarrassed and nervous about being touched that she couldn't help but feel nervous.

She felt embarrassed to be sitting next to him.

Ramilio was concerned about Lucrezia's silence, so he often said something to her.

"Did you get a good night's sleep?"

"Not much...."

"We have to be patient. After the vows are taken, you will officially become my wife. Sleep well when you get home."

--I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

I'm not prepared for this at all.

Then Lucrezia realized a very important fact that she had overlooked.

"....Am I going to be sleeping with my husband today?"

If you think about it with common sense, since I am his wife, I must be right.

The conversation didn't flow well, and the carriage arrived in no time at all.

The inside of the cathedral, the first in the Principality of Pastore, was dazzlingly bright, probably because it was designed to let in plenty of natural light.

--Wow, the ceiling was filled with angel paintings.

While I was admiring the beautiful frescoes, the ceremony proceeded without a hitch and I was asked to make a vow.

"I swear that I will love you for the rest of my life."

Along with the oath, I was asked to kiss him on the mouth.

It's a great way to celebrate the conclusion of your vows.

--When the bells rang to congratulate the couple on their vows, they were greeted with words of congratulations from the people around them.

"Was it a wedding?"

"Yes, it was. Thank you for--"

Lucrezia's eyes were glued to the man who was looking back at her.

He had lost some weight over the past few months, but it was unmistakable that he was someone she knew.

"Hey sister, who is that guy?"

My younger sister, Rosa, came at me with a loud voice.

It was my now-husband, Ramilio, who quickly embraced Lucrezia and protected her.

"....What can I do for my wife?"

The man smirked arrogantly at Ramilio, "I'm sorry, but I can't allow you to marry her. This is my daughter, after all. 'Lord Ugly' - Ramilio Pastore."

"....I see. You are Lucrezia's father, Duke Antonio."

The tense exchange was interrupted out of place by the cheerful voice of his sister.

"He's so cool!"

***