8 - The Identity Of The White-Haired Lady

Lucrezia looked at Ramilio as he looked straight into the back of his hood.

She looked at him as if she was trying to escape his gaze.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about. It is not the intention of the Dukes of Seravalle to do so. Please explain."

"Oh, no, about that..."

"It was a bit sudden, after all. You've just had your engagement broken off, and you're probably a little upset.

I thought it wouldn't be too late to take some time to recover and then think about it."

"I'm not upset at all."

"But you don't have to marry me.

After you have rested your wings for a while, you may want to return to the King's Landing."

"I've been betrothed six times now, so if you were to say for the seventh time that you had nothing to do with Lord Ugly, it would probably go over quite easily. I'm not proud of it, but I'm innocent... What are you doing?"

"You can rest assured that you're in good hands. I'm also ...well, what the heck. I'm a little tired.

I'd like to pretend you're my fiancé for a while and rest..."

"I'm not going back."

Lucrezia said clearly. She wanted to make eye contact with Ramilio, but the hood and dark glasses prevented her from doing so.

I'd like to see his true face as soon as possible.

"I have come to this land as your wife."

As she said this, Lucrezia realized that she was also wearing a veil, which half hid her true face.

"If you don't like it, I'll go back. But if you are not dissatisfied with me, please carry out the engagement."

--Let me see your true face, too.

"...Wow, okay. We'll talk about this again.

I have other plans for today, so I'll leave you to it. I'll have my butler take care of you for a while, so you can relax in your room and do whatever you want."

Ramilio said curtly, and left with his entourage.

That was the end of my first meeting with Ramilio.

***

[ POV - Third Person / Ramilio ]

Ramilio walked back to his study with his aide Bosco.

He closed the heavy walnut door to prevent eavesdropping, searched the area for signs of people, and then quietly told his aide.

"It's a ...marriage scam, isn't it?"

The aide looked at his master in an almost panicked state, flinched, and discreetly asked back, 

"Why did you think that?"

Ramilio raised his voice emotionally.

"It's just too convenient! Did you see her true face? She was more than a fairy!"

"She was a beautiful young lady."

"You scared the shit out of me! Who would have thought that she was more beautiful than her portrait?"

She is a pale girl with silvery white hair and golden eyes like the moon.

Her skin is as white as the moon. Her emotionless gaze reminded me of an innocent doll.

The girl wore simple, inconspicuous clothes and a veil over her face to hide her conspicuous appearance.

Even her beautiful silvery-white hair looked like the white hair of an old woman when it was tied up tightly and covered by the veil.

I'm sure that's why Lucrezia has been given the disgraceful nickname of 'The White Lady.'

"Hahaha. I'm glad to hear that she's are a good match for Ramilio-sama."

"No, there's a problem!"

Ramilio was completely excited.

He had no idea what to do in case the girl was too beautiful.

"A beautiful girl with impeccable taste is going to ask me to marry her, saying that she is a wonderful woman! I'm the one they call the Ugly Lord!

I've never seen such a convenient story even in fairytales!"

The aide looked up at the sky with a condescending gesture,

"I'm afraid you've ...lost all faith in humanity."

"Don't give me that sympathy you don't seem to feel at all. Anyway, she's crazy.

She is definitely hiding something.

I'm sure she's hiding something. The world doesn't work that well for me! I won't be fooled!"

His eyes, hidden behind his colored glasses, had the dark, cynical color of someone who has been oppressed by the world.

Although the 'Ugly Lord' has broken off his engagement six times, he has been hurt every time. 

And being made a laughing stock of by the public had damaged him once again. His self-esteem was already tattered.

"What is it? Is the Duke of Seravalle's family really in need of money?

Is that why he's been ordered to make a connection with me?"

The aide named Bosco cut off his hand sign in the same way he did when he prayed.

"You are terminally ill. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Shut up! Watch me. I'm going to expose you for what you are..."

Ramilio mumbles to himself.

"You'll be able to find out if she's in trouble with her money.

And check her background! She might be a money-grubbing bitch!"

Ramilio sighed as he watched his aide Bosco say "Yes." and leave.

"What was she thinking? I'm not sure what you're thinking.

What do you think you're doing?

Do you really think I'm going to be fooled by such transparent flattery...?!"

It was no secret that he had taken a solid beating and was blushing up to his ears under his hood.

***