27 - Courting Marriage

"Anyway, there's one thing I wanted to talk to you about. It's just that my circumstances have changed."

"What are you talking about?"

"It has to do with your family, but first, my feelings...."

Ramilio was reluctant to get to the point.

"If there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know."

Lucrezia loves to be relied upon. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

"No, it's...."

But Ramilio was not clear.

"....So, what's your mother up to now?"

"She passed away."

"Oh, that's too bad. What about your mother-in-law?"

"She's my second wife. She gave birth to my sister and left me for another man."

Ramilio's tension was visibly dropping. He must be at a loss for comment.

"Where are your parents, Mr. Ramilio?"

"An epidemic killed them and all their relatives."

"Well.... that was during the epidemic ten years ago, wasn't it?"

"Yes. I was the only one who survived the epidemic because I was kept in a monastery deep in the mountains."

Lucrezia felt a strange kinship with the lonely Ramilio.

"We are very much alike, aren't we?"

"Maybe we are."

Ramilio looks straight at Lucrezia.

"I've never felt like a stranger to you. Even when I only knew of your existence through letters, I took the liberty of feeling sorry for you."

"Master Ramilio...."

Lucrezia could not take her eyes off him. 

"I understand the disappointment you felt when you were asked to marry me because I was forced to stay in a monastery for a long time. That's why I want you to be happier than anyone else. I promise I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy. So--"

Ramilio stammered.

"....I, uh...."

"I'm not sure what to say."

Ramilio was completely silent after he said that.

His gaze lingered over the table, staring at the procession of ants that were lapping at the crumbs at his feet.

Lucrezia had waited long enough.

--Is this such a hard thing to talk about? You look strange today, Ramilio-sama.

Ramilio's face is red all the time. It's not just peachy, it's crimson.

I became impatient and opened my mouth, hoping to relieve the tension first.

"I knew before I came that the rumors about you were exaggerated," she said. I knew before I came that the rumors about Master Ramilio were exaggerated, so I was not displeased at all.

"The moment I read in the newspaper that you had 'insect eyes', I thought that perhaps I could cure you.

"That.... is all? I'm sure there were many other terrible things written on it. I'm sure you're not going to like it one bit, are you?"

Lucrezia gushed faintly.

"You are a kind man, Ramilio, and you always go out of your way to show kindness to a stranger like me. But you mustn't."