15 - Penance Of Love

***

The next day, Ramilio had no focus on work.

"My Lord... are you listening?"

"I was listening. So what?"

"...yes."

Bosco quits like a chicken and disappeared.

Bosco's early curfew left Ramilio idle in his office. Then more and more came to mind the beautiful girl who had come home recently.

For the dressed-up appearance of Lucrezia at supper never left his mind. When she asked hesitantly, 'Does it look good on me?'  by her in a cute dress, I felt the urge to stroke her as if she were a pet.

I've never seen such a pretty woman. Not only her appearance, but her shy gesture made me want to protect her.

Ramilio had already learned and was aware of Lucrezia.

But--

Ramilio looks at his hands again.

In his hand was held a letter.

It says that he wants money.

The sender, the Duke of Seravalle, seemed to be in great want of money.

Rumors have reached Ramilio that his servants are leaving him in the duke's palace one after another.

At last Lucrezia appeared.

Ramilio was sad rather than angry.

How can one believe that this pure and gentle girl and her father and son are conspiring to plunder money from Ramilio? I really didn't want to believe it.

While I was absent-minded, Lucrezia visited Ramilio.

Lucrezia, who perhaps had made a daytime dress, wore an ultramarine dress and cream-colored gloves, which again proved to be pretty.

Ramilio, hiding a letter from the duke in a hurry, asked innocently what she wanted.

"Sir, is there a priest in the chapel in your house?"

"Yes, I do. I hate crowds, so I get all my prayers done there."

"Can the priest make some time? I have something to confess."

"Sure, but... you're very enthusiastic."

It is admirable that he wants to take the initiative, even though he is bothered by the once-a-week confession required by divinism such as Ramilio.

"Yes... Actually, I did a very bad thing."

Lucrezia with a grave face and a nodding head.

Ramilio recalled a letter he had received from the duke.

--Not that you have a bad conscience about trying to trick me...

Believe it or not, Ramilio led her into the chapel.

"My guest wants a confession. ask for a little time."

When I asked the priest, he readily agreed.

Lucrezia and the priest disappear into separate rooms.

Ramilio  crept softly up to the door.

I could hear the voice of Lucrezia from inside.

"I confess. I ordered ten dresses yesterday..."

Ramilio was shocked. It is true that ten dresses are a lot. I wondered if she was a spendthrift.