36 - The Words You Want To Hear

Lucrezia tried to keep a lid on her feelings and tried to put as much affection as she could into her emotionless eyes.

"For the court of Pastore to flourish, the help of people like Margherita and Madame Cassia is essential. Please lend me your help."

The tea party ended with a meeting about the winter event, which was to be held shortly.

After the Cassia family left, Lucrezia looked at Ramilio, who was standing in a daze next to her, watching the carriage go by.

He looked very tired, but was it because of that Margherita?

I'm not sure what to say, but I'm not going to say anything.

"....did you like Miss Margherita, Ramilio?"

Ramilio looked as if he had been brought back to reality all at once, and he was in a panic.

"No, of course not!"

When Lucrezia stared up at him with gloomy eyes, Ramilio lowered his eyebrows and made a 

kind of strange face.

"....are you mad at me?"

"She seemed to be enjoying herself with you more than when she was with me."

"I don't know why.... she didn't want to see me if she could help it. That's the type of woman I hate the most."

"She was so lovely, so friendly, and so cheerful."

"Who are you talking about? ....Margherita was a fearless, outspoken, and inconsiderate kid-- 

--What the ....hell, why are you looking at me like that?"

Lucrezia was not convinced.
Even if he had been rejected in the past, she was afraid that if Margherita glanced at him and said, "But now, I think I like you a lot," he would easily rollover.

She was afraid that if he found out that she liked him, he might easily fall for her. "Since you were engaged, you must have had some feelings for her, right?"

"No, not at all. ....Mrs. Cassia took it upon herself to take care of me. And because of her, neither Margherita nor I could say anything strongly, so Margherita came to our house and lived with us."

"You lived with her?"

"But ....is it that much of a bother...?"
"What...? What can I tell you to make you understand...?"

He cried and refused, saying that he couldn't handle such a creepy person. Can you imagine how I felt when he told me? 'Margherita is the only thing I will never have.' If he flipped out and showed any sign of having feelings for me, I'd laugh a million times and tell the whole Pastore duchy about it.

"I'd be laughing a million times and telling the whole duchy about it." 

"That's kind of disgusting, though...."

I have looked into unexpected darkness. I feel far away from Ramilio.
"What am I supposed to say then? I don't like the idea of you liking Margherita."
"I'm not sure who I think is prettier, me or her."

"I think you've got it all messed up. There is nothing pretty about Margherita. You are beautiful, charming, smart, and kind. You can't even compare yourself to Margherita...."

"....So?"

When Lucrezia, feeling a little happy, urged him to continue, he suddenly burst into laughter.

"What, you were jealous?"

Ramilio laughed and hugged Lucrezia.

"I don't understand. I don't know."

"─ You have had six women in your past, Master Ramilio."

"Past?"

"One of them might have been your true love!"

Ramilio laughed out loud.

"I owe you so much that it doesn't matter what beautiful women I've met in the past."

"I knew you had met her!"

"It's a metaphor, so relax. You were one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. I shuddered when you showed me your portrait for the first time."

Lucrezia looked at Ramilio's face, intrigued.

"I've told you several times that you can get a much better deal on a husband. You are the one who insisted that I take the job. Can't you imagine how I feel?"

I'm not sure if it's an embarrassment or not, but Ramilio is rubbing Lucrezia's cheek a bit roughly.
Lucrezia, while being pecked on the cheek, saw up close that Ramilio's soft face was melting even more sweetly.

Who would believe him if he told them that he was now the man they called 'Lord Ugly'?

"Lucrezia, I have to pay you back. I don't know if I'll ever be able to pay you back, but I'll do everything I can."

Ramilio took his hand away and looked straight at Lucrezia.

"What do you want from me?"

"I want to be known."

What Lucrezia wanted, she had already gotten.

But if you dare to ask.

"I will be satisfied if you just tell me that you love me."

Lucrezia thought that she would never forget the sound and heat of the whisper in her ear.

***

T

he war between the Illuminati and the Kingdom of Rai had ended with Rai's victory.

The King of the Illuminati agreed to cede three port cities and two islands, and the Kingdom of Rai withdrew from the capital.

On the way, several ships suddenly stopped at the port town of Pastore, threatening to bring the war to the territory of Pastore.

"I heard this is a letter to you."

He quickly glanced at the envelope handed to him by Ramilio and read the contents.

--It's from the Crown Prince of Rai.

"....says he is here to deliver my father's belongings. He wished to know if it would be possible to meet him on land."

"I see. As long as there is no hostile intent, I don't mind."

Lucrezia and Ramilio went to the port town to pick up the crown prince of Rai.

The port was crowded with people hurriedly unloading goods.

Among them, a warship with triangular sails stood out, displaying the insignia of the crown princes.

Lucrezia met Crown Prince Reisch at an inn on a small hill with a panoramic view of the city.

A strong sea breeze was blowing on the marble terrace, making Lucrezia's dress and the loose long robes worn by Reisch and the others flutter.

"Lucrezia. I'm so glad to see you looking so well."

"Yes, Your Highness too."

***