14 - Light And Shadow

Lucrezia appeared in the dining room. Ramilio was sitting alone at a large table that could have seated twenty people.

It had taken an unexpectedly long time to get ready, and the soup had already started to be served.

As he ate, Ramilio raised his eyes and looked at Lucrezia.

The spoon in his hand fell with a thud.

The waiter was puzzled, the butler bent down to retrieve the spoon, and Ramilio stiffened with his mouth open.

"The dress I made for myself had arrived."

She smiled, bowed lightly, and unfolded the hem.

"How do you like it?"

--I hope you don't think it's too flamboyant, or that it's not something a dark-eyed woman like me would wear.

I waited nervously for Ramilio's reaction.

But he was looking at Lucrezia as if his soul had left him.

"Oh... that?"

"...Sorry, I was a little fuzzy. I'm sorry for staring at you like that."

"No, no..."

--But even if I think it's nice, it doesn't mean it's the same for you.

After being given the disgraceful nickname of "the gray-haired lady" in social circles and being called a creepy daughter by her father on a daily basis, Lucrezia felt that she could not rely on her own senses.

"You've got good taste," she said. "No... I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm rude and I don't really know what to say in these situations."

Ramilio looked somewhat embarrassed.

"You did a good job tailoring the dress. It suits you well."

Lucrezia felt her spirits soar. It was night, but she felt so bright and buoyant that she thought the light was coming from above her.

"I thought it was a pretty dress."

"Yeah, it's pretty."

"Do I look good in...?"

"Of course, you're so pretty."

Lucrezia was so happy that she could not eat anything after that.

In the past, the only man who had ever complimented Lucrezia was Falco. It had made her happy then, but now it was nothing compared to that.

"You have beautiful hair, so you should let it flow instead of tying it up."

Lucrezia had never liked her silver hair as much as she did this day.

***

Rosa decided to beg her father when he was in a good mood.

"Dad, can I make a new dress for the announcement of your engagement to Falco-sama?"

We were going to have a joint party when Falco's parents came back. I wanted to design a dress for that occasion that was different and special.

"I already have an idea, I just wanted to order it now because it will take some time."

"You already have a lot of dresses, don't you?"

Rosa snapped at her father's admonition.

"My sister has so many jewels, and I don't have a single one!"

"I never bought her any jewels, her mother was a rich woman with no class and a lot of inheritance."

"What's wrong with you, you're so unfair! She has a beautiful fiancé, dresses, jewelry, everything, and everyone loves her... I want to be free to dress up and enjoy myself!"

Her father loved Rosa so much that he finally relented.

"...Ask for what you want."

Rosa thanked him with a big smile, gave him a kiss and a hug, and ordered an embroidery design from the tailor.

--I'm the "Rose Bud Princess" after all. I want to stand out with a nice embroidered dress!

I was told that the embroidery would be done by hand and would take some time, but I agreed.

If I wore this dress, everyone would surely praise my beauty.

Rosa couldn't help but look forward to it.

--It was not until the fabric was finally ready to be finished that Rosa learned of the duchy's financial difficulties.

She had no way of knowing that the duchy was in such dire state that she would have to sell the dress she had finished.

***