6 - Encounter With The 'Ugly Lord'

Ramilio muttered at his desk with a letter in his hand.

"I told him that he didn't need to bring a dowry, that she could just come with herself."

"You said that, didn't you? Your Excellency is a good bargainer."

"No, no, no, no. I mean, I'm the 'Ugly Lord' who broke off my engagement six times."

Already, six women had come to him for his lands and assets, but they had fled in fear of his appearance.

How about 'The White Lady'? Will she be able to endure Ramilio in her unfortunate state of nervous exhaustion due to the mess of her broken engagement?

"I wonder how long she'll last this time..."

"I hope she can last at least until the hood comes off."

Ramilio thought about it for a while and then decided that it was okay.

"I understand that she may need to recuperate."

"You're going to let her recuperate on the premise of breaking off your engagement? How kind of you..."

"I wonder why your compliments aren't so heartfelt."

But soon after, a new problem arose.

"...I wonder if our country is the kind of place that a young lady from the Illuminati would enjoy."

"I don't know. I'm sure it's very scenic."

The Illuminati is home to the latest trends and many fun places to visit.

The palace where Ramilio lived was also very old and uncomfortable to live in.

Ramilio kicked off his chair and stood up.

"This is not good. She is a guest. If she enjoys herself, it's a badge of honor for us.

I have to do something about the room they're staying in at least."

Ramilio hurriedly called in a large number of merchants.

"I want all the amenities a woman needs to live."

"What is your budget?"

"I don't care how much it costs, it has to be done within three days. And I need to get the engagement papers done quickly...

Oh, it's so easy when it's your seventh time. I have a pretty good idea of what to include."

"...Sir, aren't you actually looking forward to it a lot?"

I've been rejected six times in a row because of my face.

A was a beautiful girl who came along just as I was about to give up.

She wouldn't be creeped out if I showed her a little kindness. I've been run off by many women.

--So it was probably not that twisted of a thought.

Ramilio himself was looking for a kind of healing in this strange match.

***

A few days later, he received word that a carriage from a truly distant place had arrived in the territory.

"Do... how was it?"

Ramilio's heart skipped a beat when he saw the white-haired lady through the window of the carriage.

The veil hid her face from view, but she was dressed very calmly.

Ramilio's anxiety and nervousness reached a climax.

"She's hiding her face... just like me."

"It's a good idea not to be too hasty with your imagination, my lord."

"I don't need you to tell me that. You know how many times I've broken off engagements."

The duchy of Pastore is located in a buffer zone between two large countries.

The roads were well maintained, and the carriage ride was comfortable, as it was a prosperous transportation hub.

After passing through the tranquil countryside, we proceeded through the urban area where horse-drawn carriages came and went.

—So many people are coming and going.

It didn't have all the entertainment facilities of the Illuminati, but it seemed to be a lively place.

Eventually, the small two-seater carriage in which Lucrezia rode stopped in front of the palace where the Ugly Lord resided.

The man ahead of us opened the door and escorted Lucrezia out.

Lucrezia immediately understood that the hooded man, who looked like a hermit, was the abomination.

When she asked him to lend a hand, she peeked at his face from very close up.

--Oh? There's nothing wrong with him, is there?

There were no scars on her cheeks or around her mouth that could be seen through her hood. 

He is a man with an average skin texture. His nose is neither high nor low, and the bridge of his nose is straight.

He has a clean mouth with good teeth and a masculine jawline, all of which are far from ugly.

Lucrezia landed right next to the ugly lord, her eyes still captivated.

Her eyes met his, and Lucrezia gasped.

--He's wearing tinted glasses, isn't he?

The glasses were made of very dark smoke crystal, and she could not see behind them at all.

I could immediately tell that there was probably something wrong with her eyes and she wanted to hide it.

And this is the reason why he was nicknamed 'The Ugly Lord.'

"I'm sorry I'm dressed like this. Normally, I should take everything off to greet you, but due to circumstances, I have to leave it like this. I am Ramilio Pastore."

He greeted her with a salute, and Lucrezia bended her knees.

"My name is Lucrezia Seravalle."

When it came time to nuzzle the back of his hand, Ramilio pretended to kiss it from a great distance away, without touching it in the slightest.

This is the first time I've ever been somewhere.

He must have been disgusted by the kiss on the back of his hand many times before when he did it.

Lucrezia felt a throbbing pain in her chest.

The pain of rejection can sting, even when it's someone else's.

She couldn't help but think that it must have been painful.

"Do you know what my nickname is?"

"Yes, even..."

Lucrezia quickly walked up to Ramilio's side.

The girl suddenly came up to him, and Ramilio was surprised and backed away.

"I knew the newspaper article was bullshit."

"Of course it was. I'm a monster..."

I'm sorry, but I can't help it.

"If you'll excuse me, may I take a look under your hood?"

***