12 - Road To Ruin

"He actually likes women in feminine finery very much."

Lucrezia's eyes fluttered. It was completely different from what she had said earlier.

"But he is also extremely afraid of being disliked by others. After all, he's had six engagements broken off. He thinks that a beautiful woman is an eternal longing, a mirage, a fata morgana that cannot be touched even if you reach for it."

I see, thought Lucrezia.

"He likes women, but he's extremely unaccustomed to them. If my lady appeared in front of him in a trendy, feminine outfit and smiled at him, he would immediately fall in love with you and become your admirer."

Lucrezia felt a little embarrassed as she tried to imagine it.

"I wonder if the... master would like me."

"I'm sure he will. You are welcome to wear a gorgeous dress. The color of the dress should be soft, such as blue-grey, pistachio green or pale peach. Use ruffles and lace to accentuate your feminine curves."

"Wow... I get it."

It took some courage for Lucrezia, who had been steeped in God's teachings of poverty since birth, to do this, but now that she was a bride, she wanted to be thought well of by Ramilio.

"I'll arrange for one of each of the three colors you mentioned. And..."

The tailor showed me the catalog and drew me a quick picture himself, promising to hurry up and finish it.

I looked back and saw that Ramilio's entourage was no longer there.

"I'm sorry for leaving you in the dark. What's your name, that man?"

"He's a scullery maid who's been with us since his father's time."

"But that's very useful advice! If my husband really likes me, I'll have to thank him. And to you, of course."

"What a waste of words, ma'am."

The butler smiled softly at her, and Lucrezia's affection for him continued to grow.

--Now that we have the clothes, let's get the accessories....

Lucrezia made a series of appointments through the butler.

***

[ POV - Third Person ]

The Duke of Seravalle's house had fewer servants than ever.

"Hey Dad, isn't the food getting really bad lately?"

The butler and the waiter who were listening to Rosa's conversation at the dinner table tensed up.

"I thought so, too. Hey, what's going on?"

"It's ...just a coincidence that the cook quit today, so we'll be looking for a replacement ...as soon as possible."

Even after this exchange, the food situation did not improve.

Apparently, while they were struggling to raise money, rumors of financial difficulties had spread throughout the house. There was no end to the number of resignations, and before long, the house was empty.

The Duke of Seravalle wanted to bring in new people,

--But unfortunately, he did not have any money on hand. I'm a duke. There's no better way to finance the royal family than to lend them money.

The Duchess of Seravalle has never been in trouble with money. If they wanted something, the merchants would arrange it for them as soon as they asked for it, and the servants would always come begging to be hired. No matter how low the wages are, there are people who feel honored just by being a servant of a duke's family.