25 - The End Of The Fugitive

She would have been told in advance what to do in the absence of the Marshal and his wife. She would not have carelessly approached the embassy in Rai.

--Because he was fooled by the idiot Rosa, he got into a terrible mess.

He didn't feel much remorse for what he had done, but he did resent Rosa. Because, if you are a man, isn't it natural to want to be close to a beautiful woman?

The crown prince would not have been so angry if Rosa had not said so many stupid things.

At some point, Falco began to have faint hopes.

--If I go to Lucrezia's place, I wonder if she'll hide me.

If I ask her to forgive me, I think she will listen to me. She had always been like that. She even turned a blind eye to my affair with Rosa.

Besides, I heard that she was forced to marry a man who was known to be an ugly word.

The thought that Falco would be surprisingly pleased with his visit comforted him as he endured the harsh environment of hiding out.

--I'll manage to save up some money and get a fake passport. I'm going to cross the border and see Lucrezia.

This thought was the only thing that supported Falco.

But the newspaper he got today...

I won't be able to call him Lord Ugly anymore. As soon as he appeared at the party, he completely charmed not only the ladies and gentlemen but also many impressionable young ladies with his neat face.

His gentlemanly demeanor, his lively eyes, and his graceful manner of speaking were all but a shadow of their former selves.

"It's a lie. It's a lie...."

A storm rumbles in my head. Lucrezia was supposed to be living in disappointment after being forced to marry an ugly man.

The reunion with Falco should have made her happy.

The newspaper sells it out.

"It was the earnest love of a lovely girl that brought him back to his true self. The beautiful girl is said to be of Illuminati royal blood."

Who are you talking about, Falco wanted to say.

A plain, boring, non-smiling girl.

It's not that I don't like it. Wasn't that Lucrezia?

Only Falco should have known about her hidden beauty.

And her devoted personality.

It all belonged to Falco.

And yet.

Falco wandered the harbor with a broken heart.

Lucrezia, his only stronghold, was now so far away.

Would he have to live the rest of his life as a wanted man, a day laborer?

Knowing that the hard work would continue, something inside Falco broke down with a rattle.

***

"Master Ramilio. It was said that a suspicious beggar was revolting at the gate. He seems to call himself Falco, the son of the Illuminati marshal."

Ramilio had been listening without stopping to write, but when he heard the name of the suspicious person, he stood up.

"'....did he just say his name is Falco? You want me to meet Lucrezia?"