22 - The Fall Of The Family

Rosa was summoned by her father.

As soon as she entered the room, Rosa sensed an unusual atmosphere. Her father, who was always so sweet to Rosa, was staring at her.

The Duke of Seravalle suddenly struck Rosa with a stab.

"What are you doing....? Papa. I'm scared...."

Rosa was seriously frightened.

"I have a letter from the ambassadors of Rai, Mr. and Mrs. Waja."

Seravalle's suppressed anger fell on Rosa as coldly as a blizzard.

"It's not just a letter, it's a formal protest letter from the entire country! Do you know what this means?"

The Duke of Seravalle slapped the letter on Rosa's cheek, who was too afraid to speak.

"The other day at dinner, you told the Crown Prince, of all people, that hawks were too bad to eat!"

"Yes...."

I did say that. But Rosa can not understand.

"I didn't know that hawks were special...."

"You think you can get away with not knowing?"

"I don't know...."

"In addition to that, you also disgraced the national emblem, the moon, and disgraced Lucrezia, who tried to establish friendly relations with Rai! In addition to that, Falco gave your sister...! Oh, it's horrible to even mention it!"

The Duke of Serravalle's anger did not stop.

"I'm not sure what to make of this. It is said that 'You seem to want to treat our country as a lower rank or as a hostile country'! What would you do if a war broke out with your country? What?"

"Well, ....wait, wait, Dad."

Rosa wanted to clear up the misunderstanding anyway.

"War is not ....my intention at all."

"Don't you get it yet?"

The Duke of Seravalle looked frustrated.

"You've been set up...!"

Rosa was in shock and her head began to feel fuzzy. Her father's angry voice pierced her eardrums, which were buzzing from too much shouting.

The Duke of Seravalle spoke in anger. The Illuminati have many accessible port cities, making them easy to attack and hard to defend. In the past, they have changed control of the country at least four times. 

Now that Rai's military power has increased dramatically thanks to new sailing ships and huge guns, he is planning to start a war with the Illuminati and force them to cede some of their port cities.

"I've been looking for an excuse to start a war with the Illuminati, and then you idiots came along! I didn't think you guys would go this far! I'm not going to let you get away with it."

Rosa began to cry.

Although they had only talked a little, Rosa had a good feeling about the Crown Prince. She had innocently believed that he had also taken a liking to her, even though she may have misspoken a little, but he had laughed and forgiven her.

And yet, behind the scenes, he was making fun of Rosa and using her.

I felt betrayed.

"It's not my fault....? It's the crown prince's fault for trying to frame you. ....It's terrible. ....I trusted you."

The Duke of Serravalle seemed to cool down a bit when he saw his daughter's tears.

"The king wants me to return the title to him."

Rosa was startled.

--If I give back my title, what will happen to ....me?

I'm not sure if this means I have to become a commoner.

"If you've got a lot of money, you'll be able to make use of it to get the most out of your money. It's a strategy typical of a weak-kneed king. If you ask me, it's the height of folly."

The duke of Serravalle mocked the king to the hilt and then glared at Rosa again with a furious face.

"I'm going to the court next week for the restitution procedure. This will be the last time I will be at court."

"Bullshit...."

My mind couldn't keep up with how fast things were unfolding.

"Wow ....me and Falco-sama's engagement is ....!"

"Falco was sentenced to death and fled."

--death penalty.... how ....can ....that be...

Rosa had no sense of reality and no words came to mind.

"It seems that the Marshal and his wife are in a hurry to return home, but it is too late. Since they almost killed my son without my permission, they will probably give up on the king and resign shortly. There is no way that the Illuminati can fend off the provocations of the Rai Kingdom without the skill of the Marshal and his wife. The people will surely call for war. We too must flee before war breaks out."

Rosa remained in a daze, unable to move from her position.

The next week, the Duke of Seravalle gave up his title and received the honorary title of marquis.

"Antonio, Duke of the Illuminati Kingdom," and then disappeared from the Illuminati Kingdom."

His daughter, Rosa, has also not appeared at the Illuminati court since receiving the title of "Princess Rosa."

***