32 | International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition

Annually on August 23rd, International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is observed to remind us of the tragedy of the transatlantic slave trade

Annually on August 23rd, International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is observed to remind us of the tragedy of the transatlantic slave trade. It gives people the chance to think about the historic causes, the methods and the consequences of slave trade.

Students, educators and artists from all over the world are invited to the UN to organise events that center on the theme of this day. Theatre companies, cultural organizations and many more express their resistance against slavery by preformances that involves music, dance and drama. Educators promote this day to educate people about the historical events associated with slave trade and the consequenses. They also promote tolerance and human rights.

Slave trade existed between the 16th and the 19th century. During these centuries, nearly 13 million slaves were shipped from central and western Africa to mostly the Americas. The voyages lost 2.4 million Africans, among some to diseases, starvation or were thrown overboard in hopes to stop the disease from spreading.

In August, 1791, revolutionaries rebelled against the slave owners. This event would play an important part in the abolishing of transatlantic slave trade and marked the beginning of the destruction of slave trade, colonalism and the slavery system. A few years later, in 1804, the revolutionaries crushed Napoleon's army along with the Spanish and British armies. And four years later, importing slaves to the United States became illegal. In 1833, Britain followed, but it wasn't until 1850 that slave trade was banned in Brazil.

For further knowledge about the tragedy, there are multiple books, movies and documentaries to learn from. Below you will find a small number of them, learn from them and teach someone about it.

Slavery and the Making of America — Documentary

The Year Britain Abolished Its Slave Trade — Youtube documentary in multiple parts

The Interesting Narrative — An autobiography by Olaudah Equaino

Sources:

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/international-day-for-the-remembrance-of-the-slave-trade-and-its-abolition-august-23/

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/un/international-day-remembrance-of-slave-trade-and-its-abolition