06 | Ramla Ali

"Sometimes as a result of being the only one existing in a space, you become a beacon for people, and it signals to a new generation that it is okay to belong

"Sometimes as a result of being the only one existing in a space, you become a beacon for people, and it signals to a new generation that it is okay to belong." - Ramla Ali

Early Life

Ramla Said Ahmed Ali was born in Somalia on 16th September 1989, though her family fled Somalia swiftly to escape the terrors of a Civil War.

They sought sanctuary in neighbouring Kenya and eventually found shelter in a Kenyan refugee camp. Life in the refugee camp was incredibly tough. People had to rely on help from non-governmental organizations, the food and water were scarce, and people often had to endure horrible circumstances in order to survive.

Eventually, her family safely made it to the UK. Then, a couple years later when she was 12, she found her calling the first time she entered a boxing gym.

Career

She became the first Muslim woman to win an English boxing title and the first female Somali boxer in history to compete professionally.

Between 2015 and 2019 she won a couple of amateur boxing titles, including the African Zone featherweight title. Now, she is the first person representing Somalia to have won an African boxing title as well as international gold medals, and the first boxer in history to represent Somalia in the Women's World Championship.

In January 2018, Ramla launched a charitable initiative that is focusing on creating more safe spaces for black and ethnically diverse females to be able to participate in several different sport activities in the United Kingdom, called The Sisters Club.

Besides boxing, she's also investing her time in giving back the kindness and generosity she received as a little girl, so she now works with many different non-governmental organisations such as Choose Love charity, UNICEF, and Dream It Real foundation.

Ramla also wrote a non-fictional book about 'life lessons' we can all learn from, called 'Not Without A Fight' which is being released later this year, on September 23rd, 2021.

____

Sources:

instagram.com/chooselove

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramla_Ali