39 | Haunted Places #1

The Langham Hotel
London, England

The Langham HotelLondon, England

The Site:

One of the most luxurious hotels in London, the Langham Hotel has been a staple of the high life in the city for over 150 years. Literary legends such as Oscar Wilde and Mark Twain stayed in the hotel during their lives. The hotel provides the setting for a well-known Sherlock Holmes story, A Scandal in Belgravia by Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Ghosts:

As befits this illustrious place, the ghost include illustrious figures from history too.

One of them is a man dressed in military attire who stands by a window on the fourth floor. It is said to be the ghost of a German prince who jumped out of the window before the first world war.

Another is the ghost of a butler. He is reported as trying to attend to his guests on the third floor.

One ghost is said to have a gaping wound in his face and he loiters in the corridors.

The ghost of Napolean III, who stayed at the hotel formerly, is also said to haunt the basement.

The most common ghostly sighting, though, is of a man in Victorian evening wear in room 333. He appears in October and the legend goes that the ghost belongs to a doctor who killed his new wife in the room, then took his own life. It seems as if he is unwilling, or unable to leave.

Current Situation:

In 1991, the Langham was re-branded as the Langham Hilton after undergoing a £100 million refurbishment. It remains one of the most iconic hotels in London.

***

Sources:

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/the-worlds-10-most-haunted-places/

https://londonist.com/london/features/londons-most-haunted-hotel