Chapter 38

"Be careful, you two!" Dakota's mother yells as he waves and shuts the front door

"Be careful, you two!" Dakota's mother yells as he waves and shuts the front door. He exhales a sigh of relief.

"Why are you so relieved? I thought you wanted to see your parents."

Dakota grinned, "I do, but I don't want them — or, more specifically, my mother — to find a sudden reason to hate you, and renounce her acceptance. Dad is still debating whether or not he trusts you." Freya clasps their hands and leads them down the front porch and onto the pavement. Dakota took the lead because he knew where they were headed.

"What does it matter what they think of me?" She inquires, perplexed.

Dakota gives her a strange look, but as he thinks about it, he wonders why. He didn't need his parents' approval to be with Freya. They were both adults with the freedom to do anything they pleased. Dakota, on the other hand, valued his parents' acceptance. He knew he didn't need it, but he wanted Freya to get along with the rest of his family. Things would certainly be worse if they didnt approve, and I'd strain his relationship with them. He loved his parents dearly.

"For one thing, they're my parents, and they deserve to know that whoever I'm with won't make the same mistake Yo— I mean my ex did." He immediately recovers after almost uttering Yoko's name. "I also want my family— to be your family. If you ever need assistance, they will be there for you, just as I will be."

That caught Freya off guard, but she quickly recovers and adds, "I shall not require anyone's aid. I am completely capable of protecting both you and myself."

Dakota, feeling that he might have offended her, responds, "I didn't believe you couldn't, Its— just nice to have support, or someone to help just in case."

Freya has a scowl on her face, "That seems rational, but I can't put my trust in anyone so easily. I have a lot of enemies."

"And here I was thinking you didn't care," Dakota jokes, looking up at her.

She shook her head. "I never stated that I did. No creature can stand up to me, but that doesn't mean I let down my guard. It is preferable to avoid a crisis than to instigate one."

Dakota paused for a while to consider her argument, "So you're basically saying that if you have no allies at all, there's no possibility for you to be betrayed?"

For a little while, Freya remained silent. "Yes, that is the best way to express it," she says.

"How about me? I —" Dakota comes to a halt. Maybe telling Freya he wanted to make new friends wasn't such a smart idea.

"You what?" she inquires.

"Nevermind," he sighs. He knew Freya wouldn't take that as an answer, so he says, "What about Yuki?"

Freya simply shrugs, "Trusting and tolerating are not the same thing."

Dakota raised an eyebrow with a smile. Would she and Yuki ever get along? He wondered.