Chapter Three: Forks

August 2, 2004: The plane hit the ground roughly as we landed in Washington and I jolted awake. Wow, I slept through the whole flight and I was already forgetting my dream with Jacob. I stretched and noticed my in-flight snacks were left for me from the flight attendants. I put them in my backpack and yawned. The window was speckled in raindrops and I pulled my jacket from my backpack while also stuffing the blanket and pillow into my bag. First class was nice. When the plane came to a complete stop, I unbuckled my seatbelt and went to get my carry on from the overhead compartment. I started to exit the plane and followed the passengers in front of me to the baggage claim before having to use the bathroom. It wasn't crowded in the airport and I found my dad easily in the crowd.

          I walked up behind a tall police officer when I got my suitcase, "Charlie?"

          He turned around and his mustache curled with his smile, "Juliet! Wow, you're so big!"

          I smiled and we hugged, "I would hope so, Dad. Were you waiting long?"

          He shook his head and took my suitcase as we walked out to the parking lot, "Not at all. What's that on your neck? Tattoos?"

          I quickly thought of a lie, "F-Freckles. Mum thinks they're sun spots from going to the beach almost every day."

          He chuckled and nodded, "Makes sense. You're pretty tan. You grew out your hair, too. There's quite a bit of mail for you at home. I have a gift for you as well."

          I smiled despite feeling guilty, "Thanks, Dad."

          He loaded his cop car with my suitcase, carry-on, and backpack and I sat in the passenger seat as we drove into Forks.

          "So," he said, breaking the silence, "your mom says that you drive."

          I looked into the cloudy skies, "Yeah. I had a jeep back home."

          "Well," he cleared his throat, "we might not have much sun but I'm sure you'll fit right in. The beaches are a bit different, too."

          My eyes drifted into the thick green forests that we didn't have on Hawai'i, "It seems really different."

          "You've really grown up. I got you some pepper spray, too. Can't have anything happen to a pretty girl like you," he said as he handed me a small canister from his pocket.

          I chuckled knowing my dad was the chief of police here, "Thanks, Dad."

          Although Forks only had a population around 3,000 people, what Vlad said about vampires still bothered me in the back of my head. Would pepper spray really hurt a vampire anyways? In no time, we reached my dad's house. It was a simple two story white house with a few bedrooms and one bathroom upstairs. We both carried my things from the car into my old bedroom and I was greeted by boxes and boxes of gifts from Hawai'i.

          "If you made this many friends down there, you'll make plenty here," he said, trying to lighten the mood.

          "Right," I said and sat on the bed, "but how did you know my favorite color was blue?"

          "I'm not that old. I tried to keep your room how you left it but that was a while ago," he said, getting softer.

          He sheepishly left my room and I spent some time to myself calling my mum and opening gifts from everyone. Before I forgot, I made another phone call.

          "Nn," Vlad groaned, "who is it?"

          "I guess your kind doesn't sleep much," I teased.

          I could hear him sitting up, "Oh, hey, Juliet."

          I was putting away my things and breaking down boxes, "Hi, Vlad. Tell me, do your bites fade? It healed by the time I got here."

          "What? Oh, yeah. I forgot you were a neck virgin," he yawned.

          I blushed and said nothing as I went on my laptop.

          "You're blushing," he chuckled.

          "Shut up. Anyways, why me? You were pretty bold to do that in public," I scoffed and resumed my research on vampires.

          "With your reaction and hair covering up your neck, most people thought we were just a loving couple," he said.

          "In your dreams. Why warn me about Washington?" I asked, a little annoyed.

          "Our kind has our own set of laws and rules that don't necessarily apply to your government. Groups of us tend to travel and hunt. I heard some covens were traveling up north. Less sun and smaller towns," he yawned again and fell into his pillow.

           "Was a taste really all you wanted from me?" I asked.

          "Mhm," he mumbled and grew softer, "just.. be.. care..ful.."

           I sighed as he began to snore and I hung up on him. Outside, a truck honked and I went to my window. Familiar faces greeted Charlie, who was now in civilian clothes, and I went downstairs.