Chapter Eight: Fall

Since September, Jacob would get me from the library every Saturday since Billy and my dad would also hang out at our house. I was grateful for it, even if Jacob was being forced to see me but he genuinely seemed to enjoy it. We had a lot of similar tastes in music and we could talk about anything. However, during the weekdays, I was always busy at school with my friends. Since Eric was involved with nearly every club, our group was busy with other students. During biology class, I often spoke with Mike instead of Edward because he hasn't spoken to me much and his role was really more of a TA position than a student. Whenever we needed to do partner work, Edward would make small talk with me but it never led anywhere.

          During the last week of October, I attempted to help set up a more spooky atmosphere on campus. There was going to be a Halloween dance and fundraiser for prom. We helped string cobwebs on the hallway ceiling with small, fake, black spiders entangled in them. I made purple and orange paper chains that hung in the classroom door frames. Angela was putting up posters for the dance and Jessica was getting gossip about what people wanted the theme for prom to be. Tyler and Mike would goof off a lot but they were able to set up a playlist and get a DJ set for the Halloween dance. It was going to be held in the gym and Eric was going to set up the final touches of the vision he had. Naturally, costumes were encouraged but with teachers being supervisors, they had to be appropriate.

          On the night of the dance, I came home from school and changed into my costume. It was a group idea with the girls. I was going to Wendy's, Angela was going to be Starbuck's, and Jessica was going to be Sun Maid Raisins. I thought it was a little weird but I didn't have any other ideas. When I put on the dress, it looked way too provocative and I rushed out of the house before my dad could see me.

          I parked back at school, as close as possible and did my hair and makeup in the truck. This is dumb. I look dumb. When I pulled up my striped thigh high socks, I left my truck and put my things in a cute hamburger purse I got from my mum when she landed in Japan. I went to the gym and it looked like a cool Halloween party already. Black balloons littered the ground and there were tables lined with skull designed cloth. Some tables had refreshments and others had nothing on it. There weren't any chairs to encourage dancing and socialization. Mike, Tyler, and Eric were nearly smothering me once they saw me but it helped them finish setting up a lot faster. When Angela and Jessica showed up, I thought they looked cute and we had a group picture taken. Other students trickled in and I'll admit, it was a lot of fun but even I noticed that the Cullens didn't show up. At the end of the night, I was exhausted and was starting to get used to my friends and school.

          During November, the Halloween dance was such a hit that the school wanted to do more seasonal things. For November, we were doing a food drive and collected canned goods for the needy and students donated other items, like clothes and shoes, for another charity. Ironically, as it was getting colder, Edward seemed to be warming up to me. In one of our biology classes, he was reading the school paper for the first time. When I sat next to him, I noticed he had his nails painted black.

          "I like your nails," I said.

          He jumped, the paper crinkling, "M-Mine?"

          I laughed softly and leaned over to see what he was reading, "Did Rosalie paint them? I haven't seen you read our paper before."

          "Um," he got tense, "A-Alice painted them. What do you mean, 'our'?"

          I pointed to some of the articles, "I help edit some of these. Wow! Angela, Jessica, and I look great! Honestly, the paper isn't half bad."

          He leaned into me and started to relax, "I was wondering what changed. The paper used to be rather illiterate. I'm honestly enjoying it. The Halloween dance looked like fun. You, uh, have a nice costume."

          "Th-Thanks. How come you and your family didn't come?" I asked, a little shy.

          "You noticed? Well, we don't really have costumes," he said.

          "Well," I said and smiled, "I'm glad you're enjoying the paper now."

          We had a nice conversation about some books and I accidentally let it slip that I was working in the library. He seemed comfortable with me now and we often talked a lot whenever we had class. Towards the end of the month, I had really solid relationships with my group, Edward, and Jacob. Work was going well and I was able to call my mum and my friends in Hawaii often. I started to feel confused between Jacob and Edward but I was hopeful that Jacob would notice me one day. I spent Thanksgiving with my dad at the diner and the townsfolk. My dad and I were rebuilding our relationship a lot and he took good care of me. He even took me to get winter clothes with the approaching winter season.