Chapter Fifteen: Answers

I stepped out of my truck and Alice grabbed my hand, "You'll be safe here!"

          "Gah!" I cried out as she nearly swept me off my feet with her incredible speed.

          We stopped abruptly in front of a beautiful woman in the front door, "Alice, what are you-"

          "Doing?" she said and let go of my hand, "Juliet, this is Esme, our mother."

          Dr. Cullen greeted us at the front door beside Esme, "Juliet Swan is the chief's daughter. To what do we owe the sudden visit?"

          "Apparently, Edward let it slip and she knows," Rosalie hissed, hitting my shoulder as she walked by and into the house.

          Emmet picked me up over his shoulder as if I weighed nothing, "Damn, she does smell good."

          "Emmet," Esme scolded as I froze up.

          Emmet brought me inside but I noticed Jasper was still by the jeep outside. Alice ran to him and I was sat down in their living room on their couch. I sat up and faced the family of vampires.

          "Don't mind Emmet or Rosalie," Esme said.

          "What exactly do you know?" Dr. Cullen asked as the family gathered in the living room in front of me.

          I held my hands in front of me and took a deep breath, "You're vampires, aren't you? I don't know the details and I don't care. Tyler is.."

          Dr. Cullen sighed as I started to cry. He's dead.

          "Tyler was my friend. I just want to know what happened to him," I said shakily.

          "I'm sorry about Tyler. Yes. We are vampires. The attacks weren't from an animal but from other vampires. Your neck, can you tell me what happened? For peace of mind," Dr. Cullen said softly.

          I rubbed my neck with my hand, "I was bitten by a vampire in Hawai'i. It was before my flight, late at night. He said he just wanted a taste because my smell was alluring. He also warned me about covens moving North when I told him I was moving here."

          They exchanged glances and Emmet spoke up, "Perhaps Edward should have told her sooner. It would've made our jobs easier if we knew what was happening."

          Jasper stayed hidden behind his siblings but his voice was unique, "Did he tell you any names? Covens travel in groups, like packs. We've run into many over the years."

          I shook my head, "No names. He just said they were dangerous."

          "Obviously. Can she leave now? I'm getting nauseous with her here," Rosalie hissed.

          Esme put up her hand and looked me in the eyes, "Did Edward try to bite you?"

          "No," I said, keeping eye contact.

          Alice nodded and offered her hand to me, "She's telling the truth. She'll keep our secret."

          I took her hand to stand but she just guided me to the door, "Alice?"

          "Hm?" she smiled, "Oh, someone's already outside for you."

          I tilted my head in confusion and let myself out. Opening the front door, I walked into Edward. He was rushing in and grabbed me when we collided.

          "Julie! I saw your truck! Why are you-" he said all at once but I covered his mouth with my hand.

          "Ah. Save it. I needed answers and you were busy after school. See you tomorrow," I said and brushed past him.

          He stood at the door and I went to my truck. I was even more angry because they confirmed it was a vampire that killed Tyler. What could I do? I went home and called Vlad.

          "Yo, babydoll. What's up?" he answered almost immediately.

          "A vampire coven killed my friend," I said bluntly.

          "Shit. Your county?" he said angrily.

           "Why only one person? Can vampires travel solo?" I asked.

          "It has to be a small coven. They shouldn't stick around but you shouldn't be out late. I'm sorry about your friend. I'll let Otis know. If we find anything, I'll call you. I promise, babydoll," he said and suddenly hung up on me.

          I was stunned and silently sat on my bed. The Cullens are vampires. There's a coven that killed two people, one of them being my friend. My boyfriend can't leave the reservation and my dad is going to be busy until they find the creature responsible for Tyler's death. Our friend group made a memorial for him at school and it wasn't the same without his van being there. Even the licorice was tasteless when he wasn't the one throwing it at me. I couldn't look for comfort from anyone and spent most of my time talking to my friends and family in Hawai'i instead.

          March 2005: Two months passed and school was still mourning the loss of Tyler. On the weekends, I hung out with Jacob at La Push. I couldn't visit the reserve everyday after school because they were closing their borders for security. It was only open on the weekends but they were strict about tribe members leaving. He and I spent our time together holding each other in the bed of my truck with the waves crashing on the shore nearby. He was really comforting but Edward seemed busy with Bella. I was hoping he could give me some information about the other covens but he was always with her. Eventually, they even started dating. Nothing came of Tyler's case but things were slowly going back to normal. The reserve eventually opened and they could go out again. During spring break, I was cleaning my truck when Edward stopped by unannounced. He startled me by jumping on the bed of my truck.

          "Julie," he said as he got the dent out of my truck after jumping out.

          "Hi. What do you want? You know I have neighbors, right? Try to act human," I said.

          "Bella knows. Did you tell her? We haven't talked in a while. How have you been?" he asked directly.

           "She's your girlfriend. Didn't you tell her? I've been waiting to hear anything about Tyler's incident," I asked, annoyed.

          "I did but she already knew. You really don't care about us dating?" he said.

          "Yup. I didn't tell her. Honest," I said and tried to hit him with my drying towel.

          He caught it but looked down the road, "I should go. Tomorrow, come over."

          "Uh-huh. I'll be there," I said and tugged my towel back.

           He drove off and Billy's truck came into view up the road. Edward was quick to leave and I finished up cleaning my truck. I leaned on my hood and waited for company to arrive.