Chapter Twelve: La Push

"Woah," Tyler leaned over me to look out the window, "check it out, babe. Another new girl."

          I glanced outside and noticed her as well, "Good. Maybe now you'll stop calling me babe."

          Tyler pecked my cheek again, "As if. You like it."

          I stuck my tongue out at him but she seemed really awkward and twitchy. We got off the bus and she was Isabella Swull. She was from Arizona and she just moved here with her mom and new step-dad. Her hair was brown but she was rather pale despite being from Phoenix. I guess she was pretty but I noticed Edward had an almost exact reaction to her like he did with me. That made me feel uneasy. When I went home, I pressed the flower from Edward and left it to dry in my room.

          January 6, 2005: The next day, Isabella, or Bella, sat with us during lunch. Eric seemed interested in her, much to Angela's distaste, but Bella didn't seem interested in anyone but Edward. It was a little obvious that she was obsessed with the way she stares. Eric invited Bella and I to La Push after school now that a swell came in. As much as I wanted to surf, I wasn't fond of the cold. I agreed to join and went to the salad bar. I went for an apple but a cold hand touched mine and teased the apple above my head.

          "Julie," Edward said softly.

          I huffed and sassily held out my hand, "Ed. I believe I had dibs on that."

          He smirked and dropped the apple in my hand, "How are you?"

          I glanced at Bella, "Fine, I suppose. You know, that new girl has some eyes for you."

          He looked annoyed and uncomfortable but stepped very close to me where his breath was against my face, "I'm not interested."

          My eyes fluttered to meet his, "I don't believe you."

          He growled and brushed his lips against my ear, "How can I prove it to you?"

          I blushed and inhaled sharply, "I don't know. Maybe hang out? Get to know each other. We're going to La Push after school. You should come."

          He stepped back and shook his head, "Not my scene. It's too crowded."

          He walked away before I could say anything and I rejoined my table. I didn't say anything despite people asking why Edward was so close to me. After school, I drove my truck to La Push and parked a few stalls away from Tyler's van and our friends' cars. It was freezing and the beach was nothing compared to the ones back home. However, the sound of the waves crashing made me homesick. I sat in my truck for a while until a familiar face was approaching me. It was Jacob with two other Native American guys. He was practically running to me.

          I excitedly jumped out of my truck and jumped onto Jacob, "Jacob! I missed you!"

          He laughed and spun me around after putting his arms around my lower back, "Jules! I'd recognize that truck anywhere. And her driver. You look great. I missed you, too."

          "Well," one of his friends smirked, "I guess it was his girlfriend that he was on the phone with."

          "Shut up," Jacob barked, turning a little red and putting me down.

          "I'm-" I started while blushing but the other friend interrupted.

          "Juliet Swan. Billy told us you moved back. Been a while. You are stunning," he said slyly.

          Jacob got tense and put his arm over my shoulders, "And you are drooling. Let's go, Jules."

          I blushed a shade darker and walked with Jacob towards my friends with his friends following not far behind. Jacob leaned against the hood of Tyler's van and I was partially on him as he kept his arm on me. I didn't mind. Tyler was sitting with Bella in the open back door and Angela was beside me in the passenger seat. Bella was bundled up in a blanket but didn't seem interested in being here. Angela was mumbling to me about Eric not asking her to prom yet.