Chapter Seven: September

During the first weekend of September, I started working as a student worker in the local library. None of my classmates knew it even existed and it gave me a peaceful break from their high energy. Although my buddies at home had a lot of energy, we channeled it into surfing. Here, they seem to gossip about other people and that wasn't my scene. The library didn't have a lot of work for me but I ended up inspiring new programs for the library to attempt to bring in more patrons from the town. After just a couple weeks here, the library looked brand new.

          "Thank you for all your help," Lisa, my supervisor, said.

          I was standing on a ladder and changing one of the long fluorescent lights, "No problem, Lisa. The flickering was a bit distracting and I really don't mind."

          "If you need anything, I'll be in the office. It would be a record if we had even eleven people come in today," she responded and returned into the office behind the counter.

          I sighed and mounted the top of the ladder. Our custodian/janitor left after her shift and I had finished shelving all the books returned for the day. As I put in the new light and closed the plastic cover, the old tube fell from under my armpit, where I was holding it with my bicep. I reached to grab it but lost balance off the top of the ladder. I was too scared to scream but I landed in someone's arms.

           "Nice catch," Jacob grinned.

          I turned bright red and squirmed in his arms, "Y-You, too. Thanks."

          He chuckled and helped me stand, "Since when did you work here?"

          "A couple weeks ago. I work here Wednesdays and Saturdays. I haven't seen you here before," I said sheepishly.

          "I was just looking for some books on dirt bikes. How's the truck?" he asked.

          "Is that all you care about?" I joked.

          "If I didn't care about you, I wouldn't have caught you," he smirked and brushed my hair behind my ear.

          I blushed again and pointed him to the other end of the library, "Books on vehicles are over there. It was nice seeing you again. It's been a while."

          He brought his hand to my cheek and his thumb brushed it before leaving. My heart skipped a beat and I went to the back of the building in the 'Employees Only' room to put away the ladder and old light. Jacob found a few books that I checked out for him and I spent the rest of September hoping he would visit again but he never did. After two weeks since his first visit, the books he borrowed were returned in the book drop overnight and I sighed thinking that he probably wasn't interested in me.

          September 25, 2004: It was the last Saturday of the month and I was making the library look almost new for a grand re-opening. My dad was really proud how much I was helping in the town with reviving the sleepy library. I had gone through all the books in the library to help weed out the old ones that haven't been checked out in at least five years. Those books were put into a book sale that I was helping run today. I even helped change the layout of the library and we made a section for toddlers with board books. The movies and CDs we had also needed to be repaired. The book sale was to help fund a bunch of problems for the library. We needed new books, movies, and CDs, as well as a new air conditioner. There was a huge turnout thanks to my dad spreading word through his job. It seemed like even the townsfolk forgot about the library, too. Thankfully, the book sale was indoors since there was a lot of rain.

          "This was such a good idea, Julie!" Lisa exclaimed as we were swamped with people wanting to buy the books, puzzles, movies, and CDs in the book sale.

          I laughed as I helped another family check out, "I worked in a library on Hawai'i. I'm just glad we could save the library."

          She was beaming and we were getting additional donations from people who weren't buying anything, "I might have to hire more student workers if we're going to be this busy!"

          When the initial opening died down, I stayed at the desk and listened to the faint buzz of people who were enjoying the library as Lisa went on her lunch break. People were willing to donate some computers and monitors that we set up for the public to use. It was mostly used by kids who wanted to play games. I sat at the front desk and started to read a book about vampires when someone leaned on the desk and hovered over me.

          "Hey, Julie," Jacob said softly.

          I looked up and turned red as I hid the book away, "J-Jacob! Hi!"

          "You did a great job today. It's really cool of you to help the library here. The books were a great help. Thanks," he said and smiled.

          My stomach flipped and I had a hard time making eye contact, "Y-You're welcome. I didn't do that much. I'm just glad I could help. Is there something I can help you with today?"

          "Actually, you can," he said and leaned in closer to me.

          "Julie, no PDA in the library. You and your boyfriend can take it outside," Lisa scolded as she came out of the break room.

          I jumped and was red from head to toe, "L-Lisa! H-He isn't my boyfriend!"

          Jacob laughed and rubbed the back of his head "I'm sorry, ma'am. I'm Jacob Black from the Quileute tribe. Juliet is a childhood friend of mine. I meant no disrespect. It's nice to meet you."

          Lisa pressed her lips in a stern smile, "Likewise. Juliet, I'll see you tomorrow."

          I got up and got my bag as Jacob left but he was waiting for me outside, "Sorry if I got you into trouble."

          I laughed awkwardly and went to my truck, "What did you need from me?"

          He followed me to my truck and let himself in, "A ride back to your place. Billy needed to stop by and they told me to get you from work."

          "They made you walk here?" I asked, surprised.

          "Nah," he said and put his arm over my seat, his fingers touching my shoulder, "my dad dropped me off since there was traffic. You guys had a lot of business so we were surprised to be in traffic."

          "I-I'm sorry. Hey, would it be ok if we got lunch? I didn't have a break today," I said as my stomach growled.

          He laughed and his growled too, "I could eat. I know a place in town. Best fried fish ever."

          "You know I'm from an island, right? That's a bold statement," I teased playfully.

          "Bet," he grinned and unbuckled our seatbelts, "Go over me and I'll slide under you."

          I blushed as we swapped seats and he held my waist as I slid over his lap. We laughed about it and he took me to a small shop run by Harry Clearwater, a man in the tribe. I hated to admit it but it was the best fish fry I ever had. Jacob gloated the whole drive back to my house. Despite that, I enjoyed being with him and I desperately hoped I wasn't being too obnoxious every time he made me laugh.