Chapter Nineteen: Treaty

"I mean no harm," Laurent said, putting his hands up and away from his body.

          Emmet sat me up on his shoulder and kept one hand on my outer thigh in case he had to run, "You're alone?"

          "I will explain once your family is here," he said calmly, his red eyes lowering to the ground.

          Emmet looked up at me and I nodded to him. He set me back down on the ground as if I weighed nothing and the rest of the family arrived quickly. Carlisle was taking control and allowed Laurent inside.

          "I must warn you about James," he said to us.

          "Why?" Edward asked.

          "This isn't my fight, and I've grown tired of his games. He has unparalleled senses and he's absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like him in my 300 years. And the woman, Victoria, don't underestimate her," he warned and handed me the baseball cap.

          "Shit," Carlisle spat.

          "James is a tracker. Your hat fell off when you left. However, even I had trouble following you. There was another-" Laurent explained until Alice gasped loudly.

          "Bella!" she cried out.

          Edward was about to leave when I grabbed his arm, "Hold on. Just wait, Ed."

          "Victoria and James have split up but neither you nor your twin are safe," Laurent said and walked out the front door, abandoning his coven.

          "Well," Rosalie crossed her arms and leaned on the wall, "now what?"

          "I-I need to go home-" I stuttered, thinking about my Dad, until Esme put up her hand.

          "Alice, Jasper, and Edward, you three find Bella. Rosalie and Emmet, we are going to play a game of chase. Carlisle, will you take her to the Quileute tribe? You're our coven leader and they respect you," she ordered.

          Alice took my hand and led me to her room with Rosalie reluctantly following us. Rosalie was changing into my clothes while I was putting on some of Alice's clothes. I had a sleeveless tank top and a pair of torn jeans with boots that were a little too tall for me. However, I didn't have a say since we were all in a rush. I was worried about my dad but Carlisle was on the phone with Billy when the three of us returned to the front door.

          "Billy," Carlisle said in a serious tone, "I'm afraid there's a situation. Two vampires have invaded and they're responsible for Tyler's death. A man and a woman, both are extremely dangerous. One of them has decided to hunt Juliet Swan. I'm bringing her to you now. Call off the wolves and don't let Charlie know."

          I couldn't hear any response but Carlisle hung up almost immediately after. Edward wouldn't look at me but Carlisle insisted on taking his car instead of my truck since my scent was all over it. Carlisle was a much safer driver than Emmet, but having to drive through town was painfully slow so that we didn't attract unnecessary attention. I was on edge and flinched at every quick movement outside as it grew rapidly darker as the sun was setting. Once we were clear from Forks, Carlisle began to speed through to reach the reserve through some woods and a single empty road. We were nearly there until Carlisle spun the car out of control and we hit something in the middle of the road.

          My head was heavy and hung forward. It throbbed painfully and I looked up. One of the headlights was busted and the other flickered but my vision was blurry. Looking at Carlisle, he was shaking his head and we both looked into the road. It was Victoria.

          Carlisle reached over and ripped my seatbelt that was restraining me in my seat, "Get out of here. No matter what, keep running until you reach the reservation. Do you understand?"

          I nodded and he handed me a whistle made from wood and shaped like a wolf. He told me to blow it once I ran past her. He was going to fight Victoria so I could get away. She saw me get out of the car and was about to charge me but Carlisle was super fast and tackled her into the woods beside the road. I started to run and blew into the whistle but there was no sound. The sound of trees breaking and falling was accompanied by hissing and fighting around me. I began to panic because nothing was happening. No matter how many times or how long I blew into the whistle, no help was coming. Why? I don't want to die! I wish Jacob was here. I feel safe with him.

          "Come here, girly!" Victoria taunted and appeared in front of me suddenly.

          I skidded on the wet road and nearly lost my balance when I tried to stop myself, "Leave me alone!"

          She was about to grab me when Carlisle pushed me out of the way, "Run, Juliet!"

          "Carlisle!" I cried out and stumbled away.

          "You'll die for a human?" Victoria hissed in disgust and was holding Carlisle off the ground by his throat.

          He began to claw at her arm while coughing and choking. I had to help! I looked at the arrowhead on my chest and made a decision. I took the arrowhead in my hand and ripped the necklace off my neck, breaking the chain. Taking a deep breath, I stabbed myself in the forearm and cut downwards until my blood dripped off my fingertips. Victoria dropped Carlisle and inhaled deeply. I dropped the arrowhead in fear. Shit. Her eyes turned black and I was trembling, unable to move no matter how hard I screamed at my body.

          "James will forgive me for killing you," she almost sang and grabbed me by my lower half of my face, slamming me sideways into a thick tree trunk.

          I was seeing stars and felt more blood running down the side of my head. Her hand covered my mouth and she was beginning to crush my jaw. My screams were muffled and I was kicking her and the tree I was being held against. Struggling to focus, a layer of mist rolled in. Shadows appeared but they weren't human. It looked like bears were coming. Great. Victoria suddenly dropped me and I swore I heard Jacob's voice before I hit the ground as I passed out.