Chapter Four: Friends

When I went outside, dad reintroduced me to Billy Black. I shook his hand firmly and he embarrassed my dad when he told me that my dad wouldn't stop talking about me when he found out I was coming. The two men had a playful banter in the driveway and I hugged an old friend. The last time I saw him, we were just little kids. Now, Jacob was 5'10" with long dark hair. He really was an attractive Native American boy. I couldn't help but be smitten to hug him.

          "Jacob!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms over his shoulders.

          He was taken aback and held my waist, "H-Hey! Juliet, it's been a while. You actually remember me?"

          I let him go and bashfully played with my hair, "Well, yeah. We got into so much trouble when we were wrestling in the mud with your relatives. I still recognize those eyes."

          He chuckled but his eyes got caught on my neck, "Y-You're, um. Never mind. So, have you met anyone else here?"

          I covered my neck with my hair and playfully tugged on his, "Jealous already? Your hair looks great! Almost as long as mine."

          He blushed and put his arm up on the bed of the truck behind me, almost pinning me, "Do you really want to challenge a wolf?"

          I blushed but he quickly withdrew himself with a smirk when Billy and my dad came back.

          "So," dad said as he put his hand near where Jacob's was, "what do you think?"

          I glanced at the pickup truck, "What do you mean?"

          Dad rubbed the back of his neck, "Your homecoming present. I bought it off of Billy."

          I smiled and admired the truck, "Seriously? This is awesome! Thank you!"

          Jacob tossed me the keys, "I totally rebuilt the engine, too."

          He rushed around the hood of the truck and I got in the driver's seat, "This is almost like my jeep. This is so cool."

          He put his arm over the back of the seats, including mine, "You're a natural."

          I started the truck easily, "Are you going to Forks High with me, too?"

          He looked disappointed, "I go to school on the reserve."

          "Oh," I sighed, "right. I forgot about that. Why don't you show me how to get around then?"

          He grinned and we spent hours driving around Forks and showed me a lot of cool places, as well as places to avoid. When we got back, I thanked them all again for my gifts and Billy and Jacob went back to the reservation. Tomorrow was the first day of school and I was really nervous about going. I laid out a simple outfit for tomorrow, a simple blue floral sundress, my black converse, and a denim jacket. I had a hard time falling asleep but luckily my ASMR helped me. In the morning, I grabbed a muffin and my bag before leaving for my first day. I parked close to campus and went through my schedule again. As I was walking and reading, a guy began to walk with me.

           "Hi!" he smiled, "You must be Juliet Swan! I'm Eric, the eyes and ears of this school! If you need anything, don't be shy!"

          I smiled, "You can call me Julie. It would be nice to have a friend on the first day."

          "Sweet!" he exclaimed, "I'm also working on the newspaper here and you could make the first page!"

          I chuckled as he showed me where the gym was for my first class, "Maybe not the first page. Thanks, Eric."

          "No problem! You're from Hawai'i right? Love the tan!" he winked and left.

          I laughed a bit and noticed I was pretty tan here. In the girl's locker room, I changed into the gym uniform and tied up my hair in a high ponytail. When the gym started, I already had to introduce myself and where I was from. No one really seemed to care but the class wasted no time starting a volleyball game for the girls while the boys played basketball. I played volleyball for years and it was a lot of fun. When I went to spike the ball, the opposing team blocked it and sent the ball to the back of one of the boy's heads across the court.

          I ran over, "Oh, my gosh! I'm so sorry!"

          The blonde boy turned around and offered his hand, "O-Oh. No, don't worry about it. It's Juliet, right?"

          I shook his hand and smiled a bit, "Yeah, you can call me Julie."

          He smiled, "I'm Mike. Newton."

          A girl from my team jogged over and stood close to Mike, "She's a great player, right? I'm Jessica, by the way."

          "Hi, you can just call me Julie," I said sheepishly.

          "Jessica, Juliet, will you two be playing?" our coach yelled from our court.

          "U-Um, see you later," I waved at Mike and jogged back with Jessica to the volleyball court.

          After gym class, I went to go change in the locker room and Jessica invited me to sit with them in the cafeteria during lunch. She and I shared a class before lunch so I agreed since it was nice having friends. When we got our trays for lunch, Mike joined us and he sat next to me.

          Eric sat on the other side of me and put his arm around my shoulders, "I see you've met my homegirl."

          "Y-Your homegirl?" Mike asked.

          I shrugged off Eric and stuck out my tongue, "I'm no one's girl."

          Suddenly, another boy ran up behind me and pecked my cheek, "She'll be my girl. Sorry to mess up your game, Mike!"

          Before running off, the boy pulled Mike's chair from under him, making him hit the floor and they ran out of the cafeteria while everyone laughed. I rubbed my cheek and was told that it was Tyler Crowley who kissed me. I smirked at their immaturity and a flash went off in front of me.

          "Wow! You're gorgeous!" a girl with glasses said as she lowered her camera.

          "Haha," Jessica smiled, "you're the popular girl now."

          "Angela, what are you doing?" Eric asked, annoyed.

          "I needed a candid for the feature!" she said.

          He huffed and left the table, leaving only Jessica, Angela, and I. As we made small talk, movement outside of the cafeteria caught my eye. They looked different in their own way but something about them almost demanded attention.

          Without thinking I asked, "Who are they?"